Chapter 45: A Proper Mission Briefing

It's been months after you joined the Astral Express in the path of the Trailblazer, and things have been going... smoothly? There were some rough patches here and there, such as trying to destroy a Stellaron in almost every planet you reached, but it wasn't too big of a deal, and everyone got out safely. Well, except for that one time with... It still pains you to think about her, but you've moved on for now. In fact, it's been a few months after your visit to Penacony, and you've been on about 3 more planets already, solving their Stellaron crises in the process. You're practically a core member of the Astral Express already, as far as everyone's concerned.

And although you're living quite the carefree life, something weird has been happening to you. On most nights, you'd have this same dream of you and another person, playing games all day, every day. It was always the same room, the same spot, and the same person, but the games you'd play were all different. You don't have a clear image of the person you're playing games with, but you have a feeling that it was someone you knew very well.

One day, as you woke up from another similar dream with you playing games with the same person, you just opened your eyes and stared at the ceiling of your room, wondering who this person might be, and why you're having so many dreams about them. Then, your thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a door opening sound to your room. On the doorstep, you could see the silhouette of March and Dan Heng, coming in to inform you about something.

"Yooo! Wake up, sleepyhead! We're about to head out now!" March yelled, with Dan Heng crossing his arms beside her, with both of them looking at you who was still on your bed.

You stood up from your bed and let out a yawn. "Alright, just give me a minute."

After you changed clothes, you, March and Dan Heng walked towards a window by the main hall, looking at the small purple planet that has bright lights shone across its surface. Himeko and Mr. Yang were also looking at the planet.

"This one's quite small, isn't it?" March remarked.

Then, Dan Heng gave some interesting trivia based on the things he's read in the data banks.

"Despite its size, it actually has quite the history behind it, with multiple of their natives expanding upon the cosmos to do something much greater than themselves. Example given: Stoneblade."

"Stoneblade? Who's that?" March asked with a puzzled expression.

"One of the legendary hackers of Punklorde. He left to travel with the Galaxy Rangers, and his entire life was documented in a game cartilage, which is currently kept safely inside Herta's curio collection chamber."

"Oh really? If he's so legendary, how come I've never heard of him before?"

Dan Heng smirked.

"Well, I'd be lying if I said I expected you to know, March."

"Heeey, what's that supposed to mean??" March was confused, but she had a feeling that she was getting picked on.

Then, Himeko chuckled at their banter. "Alright, you two, this is no time for bickering. Even with our scanners detecting the presence of a Stellaron on this planet, we should be keeping our guards up whenever we're exploring the purple planet of Punklorde. It's one of the places where even the IPC has given up on maintaining their activities, and lawless punks and corrupted officials rule the lands. Needless to say, we're probably not invited in this place, so it's best to assume that everyone is your enemy, and keep an eye out for each other."

"Hmm... Now that I think about it, the hacker from the Stellaron Hunters also originated from here, is that correct?" Mr. Yang mentioned.

"Silver Wolf..." You muttered underneath your breath. Ever since she left the scene in the middle of the Aetherium wars battle with you and March, you haven't seen her visit the express anymore, not even when you're alone in your room with nothing to do.

"Yeah. You could say that she was quite the legend herself. After all, she is doing something greater than herself, so she's right on track with the previous legends," Dan Heng noted.

"I don't think 'messing with us' is really 'something greater', though," March said while placing her hands on her hips.

Himeko then crossed her arms.

"Well, since this mission has a higher threat level than any of the other planets we've been on, I'm coming along with you three. Mr. Yang's going to be on the Astral Express, taking a closer eye on us from the top."

"Alrighty, then! We'll be in your care, Ms. Himeko! And you too, Mr. Yang!" March exclaimed. Both Mr. Yang and Himeko let out a reassuring smile.

Then, Pom-Pom suddenly showed up behind everybody.

"You 4 better come back in one piece, the Astral Express will not leave until all of you are back!" Pom-Pom said.

"Of course, Pom-Pom! We'll be back in no time!" March gave a cheeky smile to Pom-Pom as she said so.

Then, as March and Dan Heng went to prepare for departure and Mr. Yang went to prepare the Astral Express's satellite to monitor the planet, you were still standing by the window, staring at the purple planet. Himeko noticed and stayed back.

"Is something the matter? You've been awfully quiet ever since we got here." Himeko asked, placing a hand on your shoulder. You got put out of your trance, and looked at Himeko before looking back at the planet.

"Nothing, it's just..."

"All of this seems a bit... familiar."

"Hmm? Familiar how?"

You tried to think of a better way to explain your feeling. "Hmmm... it's like... somehow I feel like... I've been here before."

"...Just a hunch, but could this also be related to the dreams you've been having? About you playing games with another person?"

You pondered for a while.

"I... I can't put my finger on it... but they do give out a similar feeling to me. I'm... still not sure what."

Himeko let out a reassuring smile. "Well, I guess we just have to find out once we get down there, don't we?"

You smiled back in return.