Chapter 49: Graceful Meetings

The pain from your back started to sting you with each move you made. As you were running, you could feel something piercing your back, but thankfully it was just a flesh wound. One of your pursuers threw some kind of projectile at you, hoping that it would slow you down. However, you continued to run. 

Suddenly, you could feel another sharp sting on your back, which almost made you fall over. You could feel another projectile stuck on your back, and you're about to run out of breath again. However, as you turned a corner, you noticed something familiar. 

On top of the roofs of the buildings, 3 robotic figures were running across roof to roof, in the pursuit of something. Then, as their prey turned to a corner, it was nowhere to be seen. It seems like their prey has escaped their chase. However, as the rest of the robotic figures continued sprinting along the buildings towards the direction of where their prey turned towards, one of them noticed a door to a resident's basement was opened.

Inside the basement behind some arcade machines in the middle of the room, you tried to lay down on your back against the arcade machines. However, before you could lay back entirely, you could feel the projectiles still stuck on your back pushing against your flesh. Then, before you could pull out the projectiles stuck on your back, you heard the door leading to the basement from the outside burst open, as if someone kicked it open.

From the lights shining from outside the basement, you could see the shadow of a figure standing by the door, holding a katana. It slowly made its way down the basement, and stood by the stairs.

It made a quick scan of the area, checking behind the counter and behind some of the arcade machines in the middle of the room as well. Then, you could hear it slowly moving towards where you were hiding.

As the robotic figure checked behind the arcade machines where you were hiding, and looked over to see... no one there. In the midst of the figure walking towards the arcade machines you were hiding behind, you looped around and got to the back of the counter. You watched from the sides of the counter as the robotic figure exits the basement, immediately catching up on the other two robotic figures. As the robotic figure's footsteps gradually got fainter, you let out a sigh of relief. 

Then, you heard the door behind the counter starting to shackle. Someone was trying to open the door. While still on the ground, you turned around to face the door, preparing yourself for who it could possibly be. And as the door opened, you could see an old lady, possibly around her 50s.

"Ooh, what's the commotion about now?" The old lady said, looking around the arcade, that was until she saw you, lying on the ground. She seemed surprised, but still pretty calm. "...Oh. Hi there."

Even though you could only barely see her face through the light shone from her back, it still seemed quite... familiar to you. Then, you had another vision. In the vision, you could see yourself running from something, and entered the door that you entered just moments ago. Then, you could hear a voice coming out from the basement, and the voice was similar to the voice of the old lady that found you behind the counter. Then, as you continued into the basement in the vision, you could see someone standing by the counter. And as the face of the person by the counter starts to clear up, you realized that you've met the old lady before. She's... the arcade owner.

"I... I know you." you said to the old lady, before grunting in pain from the projectiles still on your back. You took a look over your shoulder to see how bad the wounds were, and as you did so, the old lady saw the projectiles on your back as well.

"...Come in. I'll get you fixed up." The old lady said with a smile, motioning you to follow her into what seems to be some stairs leading up to her house. You slowly got up while enduring the pain, and followed along while closing the door behind you.