Chapter 44: The Last Straw

You went up multiple stairs and made your way through a couple of platforms, but you and Silver Wolf eventually made it to the top of a building, where a nice view of the sun could be seen, neither rising or setting. However, you couldn't admire the view immediately though, as you were panting from the amount of legwork that it took for you to get here, and Silver Wolf was also panting herself. However, just as you stopped panting and took a glance at the amazing view, you've partially forgotten about your fatigue and stared at the night sky, illuminated by the fake stars and half-sun. You walked towards the railings to admire its beauty even more, and when Silver Wolf saw you do that, she walked towards the railing next to you.

"...It's really beautiful, isn't it?" Silver Wolf said, trying to lighten up the mood.

"...Yeah. Yeah, it is." You replied.

Both of you stared at the view for a while. Then, Silver Wolf started to recount what happened before.

"...This was the last place that we visited... before we left the dreamscape."

"This was also where... I... confessed to you."

"Do you... do you still remember?" Silver Wolf was slightly blushing, still looking at the view.

You looked down to the ground in front of your feet.

"I... I'm sorry, Silver Wolf. This is... nice and all, but..."

"I still don't remember... anything."

"I understand how you're feeling, but... the person that you're searching for... the person that loved you... the person that I used to be... I'm not him anymore."

"I... I'm sorry." 

There was a short silence, then Silver Wolf started to speak again, with a slightly more frustrated tone now.

"So you don't remember anything at all? Is that correct?"

You noticed her change of tone, and looked away from her.

"Yeah... I'm sorry."

Now, Silver Wolf was pissed. She did set all of this up, only for you to return the most unwanted answer ever.

"Alright. Fine. You don't remember anything, huh?"

You remained silent.

"Then do me a favor. Call me by my nickname."

You were confused and looked at her.

"Huh? ...Okay, what's your nickname?"

"Silvie."

Then, suddenly, a wave of headaches started flooding into your brain, almost like an uncurable migraine. You started to grunt in pain as you held your head with both of your hands.

"What are you waiting for? Call. Me. Silvie."

As the word appeared again, more headaches started to form, with each pain being sharper than the last.

"If you've actually forgotten everything, then this should be fine, right? Should be quite easy for you, right?!"

As you placed your head on the railings, Silver Wolf started to slowly walk towards you.

"Like I said! Call! Me! Silvie!!"

The headaches came again, and this time you let out an agonizing scream. With each pain that comes to your brain, visions of you using that word to call for someone started appearing, but it was still too blurry and the pain was too unbearable to even make sense of what you were seeing. In the end, you find yourself clutching your head, kneeling on the ground.

"Silver Wolf... Stop... Please... just stop..."

When Silver Wolf saw you begging for her to stop, her anger slowly dissipated from her face. Then, she let out a bittersweet smile, with some tears in her eyes.

"...Okay, I'll stop." She crouched down to hold your hands, which were still holding on to your head. She pulled your head closer to her chest.

"I'm sorry... for everything. I pushed you too far, and... and I hurt you just a little too much."

She then pulls out some plugs, and placed them on your head.

"So please... "

"Let me just do this for you..."

"...One..."

"...Last..."

"...Time..."

Afterwards, everything faded to black as you started to fall asleep, with Silver Wolf still holding onto your head.

The next thing you know, you heard someone calling for you, seemingly trying to wake you up. As you started to open your eyes, you saw 3 girls; one with orange hair, one with brown hair, and one with green hair.

"Hello~ wakey wakey, sleepyhead!" Guinaifen said, knocking her fingers on your skull.

"Jeez, just how long were you planning to sleep today?" Sushang asked, crossing her arms together.

You rubbed your eyes as you sat up on your bed. You could feel some moisture coming out of your eyes, and your hands felt quite wet from rubbing your eyes.

"A-Are you okay? Y-You seemed to have a bad dream last night... Or rather... a sad dream..." HuoHuo asked with a concerned look on her face.

"Well, shouldn't a person be waking up from a bad dream instead of continue sleeping until it was noon?" Guinaifen remarked.

"A... bad dream?" You said.

 You looked at your hand.

"What was I... even dreaming about?"