Chapter #39

Chapter #39
May 1st 2022
Scarlett’s POV
“Lizzie, slow down, what's going on?” I wake up to Louri on the phone. “Oh god. Scarlett, wake up and get dressed, it's Maya, she's in the ER.” She says and I shoot out of bed. My adrenaline is what is helping me stand. “I will talk to you when we get there. “Put on jeans, we are taking the bike, it’s faster.” Louri says. “What happened?” I ask. “Her and Robbie went to the store to get some things for breakfast and they were hit by a semi on the back passenger side door where Maya was.” Louri says in a monotone voice she’s clearly switched to marine mode just to keep herself together and my knees buckle and I fall to the floor screaming.

Louri’s POV
I’m getting dressed as I tell Scarlett what happened I am doing my best to turn my feelings aside so I can be there for my family but the second I hear Scarlett’s heart wrenching scream I lose the ability to push my emotions away I run to her and wrap my arms around her and text Chris that we need a ride apparently Liz already told him. “Chris is on his way to get us.” I tell her. “No, the bike is faster, let's go now.” Scarlett says still crying and I just nod.

“WHERE’S MY DAUGHTER!!” My voice booms through the hospital lobby. Scarlett has gone silent. I think she’s in shock. “Ma’am you need to calm down and tell me the patient's name.” The nurse says. “Maya Dollese Johansson-Evans.” I say and she types away on her computer. “She’s in surgery. That’s all I know so far.” She says. “I want my baby. Louri I want my baby.” Scarlett begins to cry.

A few hours go by and our close friends and family are all here so that means a lot of MARVEL cast are here so is my unit. Robbie is brought out and discharged so he stays with us. He has a cast on his arms and some stitches in his head. “Louri, Scarlett I’m so sorry. I should have seen him coming. I'm so sorry.” Robbie says breaking down. “Don’t.” I say. “It’s not your fault. We saw the police report that your light was green but the other driver’s light was red but he was drunk and didn’t care and ran the light. You did nothing wrong.” I tell him. “Why aren’t you yelling at me? You should hate me.” He says. “Because it’s not your fault. You weren’t drunk, he hit your blind spot. Plus I know what you did for Maya. You made sure to keep her immobilized just like I do with my men. You punched the man senseless which is how I assume you broke your hand.” I say. “Yeah it is, he hurt my niece. I know she’s not my daughter but I love her as if she was. I love Devon, Louisa, and Thomas just as much. I also told him that if there is going to be any lasting damage to Maya he will have to deal with the anger of Avengers and the Marine corps.” He says just before a doctor comes in. “Parents of Maya Johansson-Evans.” The call out. “That’s us. We are her moms. Please tell me my little girl is going to be ok.” I say, trying to stay calm. “Well she’s out of surgery and is being taken to the pediatric ICU but she’s awake and responsive. and her first words after waking up were "I want my mommies.” The doctor says. “So can we see her?” Scarlett asks. “Of course now I should warn you that there is quite a bit of bruising and a large gash on her leg that has been stitched up and we did have to perform abdominal surgery so she’s on pain meds and when asked if she was hurting she said no which is good luckily there was no brain damage or spinal damage.” She says as she leads us to our daughter. “MY MAMA IS A MARINE SHE WILL KICK YOUR ASS IF YOU TOUCH ME!!” I hear Maya yell. “Oh yes and she won’t let the nurses touch her so we did have to put restraints on her.” The doctor says and I get angry at that thought. “Mama! Mommy!” She says when we walk in and I take my pocket knife out and cut the fabric of the restraints off her. “No one puts restraints on my children.” I growl as I put my knife back in my pocket. “We just had to change her bandage but she punched one nurse and bit another. She's very uncooperative.” The nurse says. “We taught our kids not to let people they don’t know touch them in any way unless we say it’s ok and yeah she’s four but she’s seen me spar with her uncle so yes she knows to punch and kick if she feels unsafe!” I yell angrily. “We didn’t mean to make her feel unsafe, we just tried to do our job.” She defends. “I know I know I just want my baby girl to be ok and I am scared and worried and I took it out on you I apologize.” I say pitching the bridge of my nose. “I understand.” She says. “Thank you.” I sigh. “Now you said her bandages needed to be changed.” I say. “Yes ma’am they do.” She says. “I’m a combat medic, I'll do it.” I say. “Ok I will get the supplies.” She says. “Thank you.” I tell her.

Scarlett’s POV
I watch as Louri changes Maya’s bandages while she talks to Maya letting her know what she’s going to do and if it may hurt or not. “Knock knock.” I hear Liz say as she and Robbie come in. “Mama, Mommy. It’s my hewro.” Maya says to us. “He hit the bad man and helped me.” Maya says. “That he did because he’s a great Uncle who loves you very much.” I say and it makes Robbie smile. “Do you think you guys can take care of the kids for a little while? Neither of us want to leave her here.” Louri says. “Yeah of course.” Liz says. “Thank you.” I say.

A/N
Maya will be ok. I'm not a monster. Anygays see you in the next one.