Chapter 26 - Drama

CHAPTER 26 - DRAMA

"So." I started playing with my fingers in front of me nervously as I sat opposite of my parents on Breakfast "My birthday is in a couple of days..."

  My dad nodded but his eyes were still focused on his newspaper "Yeah we know. You're turning seventeen. You're almost an adult now" He looked up at me "That brings upon big responsibilities you know that right?"

Ugh, of course he would say something like that which only would make whatever I wanted to say next sound totally childish.

Nonetheless I nodded "Yeah I know." Come on Chloe you got this. You just have to handle it right. Use the right words. Be smart. Be –

"Can I have a party?" I said before I could stop myself, totally not handling the situation right and sounding like I was begging. Smooth Chloe. Really smooth.

Of course my parent's reaction was exactly what I expected; Sock and mostly confusion.

"A party?" my mom gasped out and the way she spat the word was like I had just said something unthinkable like... being an atheist.

Oh my god, what would she do if I ever said that? Kill me and herself I guess to save our family from the 'embarrassment' I guess.

"Yeah like... uhm... a house party?" I asked more than said.

I was ricking too much by bringing this topic up but the truth was I was being forced to. Okay, not exactly forced to but close enough. Annabelle and my friends wanted me to have a party for my birthday and convinced me to ask my parents. In other conditions, say if I had never met Ryder West, I would think this was more than a bad idea. But right now it seemed like a good idea. I never really had a party, not even when I was a little kid. Usually on my birthdays my parents would call all of my family members to our house to celebrate. At first, when I was like ten, it was fun since I got to have many presents but then I got bored of it and the idea of my birthday's only made me hate them.

But I was hoping now that I turned seventeen they would let me have a real one. I'm guessing... not?

"A house party." Repeated my mom chuckling and shooking his head. "Where is that coming from?"

I shrugged, feeling self conscious from their staring "I just... I thought it will be... fun to do something different for my birthday since all we do every year is invite our relatives."

My mom looked at me offended "Chloe Anderson are you saying you don't want to be with your family, who you haven't seen in ages, on your birthday?"

Well... yeah that's pretty much was what I was saying; "No it's not that-"

She shook her head disappointed "You don't know how heartbroken Aunt Liz is gonna be when I tell her."

"No please don't tell-"

"And besides it's...impossible, it's not gonna happen. You know how we feel about parties and all that kind of 'entertainment' that goes against God's will." Oh no, not again with 'God's will'.

"Also." My dad piped in "We already booked a table in advance a month ago at Chef's Table in Brooklyn Fare. You know how hard it is to book seats right?"

"We were gonna keep it as a surprise since we know you love Chef Ramirez's food but only because I wasn't expecting a last minute change of plans from you."

Great. Now, not only I was mad at them but I was also felt kind of guilty too. "No it's okay." I end up apologizing "I know how hard it must have been to book the seats so... never mind."