Chapter 62 - Promise

A/N

 Started from the bottom now we're here. I can't believe I found this screenshot from two years ago. Time surely flies. Thank you all for making all this happen.

*      *      *

*      *      *

Chapter 62 -PROMISE

Three days later of the doctors running tests and making sure everything was alright, Seth was out of the hospital.

His return back home surely was an emotional one and surprisingly my parents made everything to make sure he was okay –both physically and emotionally.

Things were still a little tensed and awkward mostly between Seth and my parents –who knew nothing and didn't ask any questions like the doctors had advised them. All they did was make small trips to his room to make sure he was okay since they couldn't fully trust him anymore.

Physically he was fine. Emotionally he was broken.

On December 28th as well was Sam's, Jared's brother, funeral.

I didn't know him personally but he was Jared's brother and Ryder's friend so I felt the need to go. Also Jared had asked me to go that night at the hospital.

"I'm... I'm really sorry... I don't know what to say." I had said to him at the hospital's cafeteria as he went to get some water.

His face didn't dare to betray his sorrow "Don't say anything. It's not going to fix things anyway."

His response had surprised me but he was right. "Yeah..." I replied awkwardly not knowing what else to say. I was trying to be supportive but Jared wasn't the type of guy who needed that.

"Listen." He had said after a lot of consideration "I know you didn't know my brother and only saw him once, and not at his best but if you want... the funeral is in two days. You can come. Bring Seth too if he is of course in the condition to come. They were friends."

"I'll come." I said immediately "I don't know about Seth but I'll be there."

He nodded, trying to hide his gratitude. "Okay."

He had almost left the cafeteria when I stopped him to ask him something that may or may not crossed the lines. It probably did. But I had to know "Can I ask you something?"

He nodded "Sure."

I hesitated "How did it happen? If you don't mind telling me."

He didn't seem surprised by my question. More like he was expecting it. And I was expecting his answer; "He overdosed on heroin at Nick Johnson's house."

My heart skirted once and then stopped. I nodded at him and he left without another word.

The similarity to Seth's case... the fact that he could be in Sam's positions... that I could be the one mourning right now and not Jared...