Chapter 72 - Heartbreak

A/N

Last 3 chapters! I love you all so much.

*      *      *

CHAPTER 72 –HEARTBREAK

Brown hazel eyes stared back at my own, anxious and discouraged.

The girl who stood in front of me on the mirror and looked exactly like me, now seemed like a stranger to me. I remember how confident and care free she used to be. How she used to laugh all the time -even if she did it to convince others that she was happy.

Maybe she used to be; happy - in a way at least. No matter what the circumstances at her house were, she never had to deal with her addicted brother. Just her crazy over protective narrow minded parents. And she was used to that.

Oh how she wished she could go back in time when her only problem was what to wear to school and how she would try to convince others that she was perfect.

I sighed and she followed, her face looking miserable. Can't this day just be over already?

"Chloe, are you ready?" my mom called me from downstairs.

They were all waiting for me "Be down there in a second!" I yelled with trembling voice.

I stood in front of the mirror to check myself one last time and took a couple of deep breaths to calm myself. When I saw it wasn't working I left the room.

My parents and Seth were waiting for me downstairs, all dressed from head to toe. Like Seth's return to school was supposed to be celebrated. I guess in a way it should... but not in that way.

The whole way to school I felt like I wanted to puke and the anxious feeling in my chest was keeping me from breathing normally. I could only imagine how Seth was feeling.

My hand found his and gave a little squeeze "Hey." I mumbled just for him to hear me "Is everything okay?"

Of course not. Nothing was okay. This wasn't okay. The last thing Seth wanted right now was a celebration for coming back to school, in front of everyone, the whole Oakheart.

He squeezed my hand tighter, shrugging in response "We'll see."

I shook my head, changing my question; "Are you okay?"

He didn't say anything but only shook his head and turned his head to look out of the window. I took it as a sign that he didn't want to talk.

Sooner or later we arrived at school. The anxious feeling I had inside me grew as I watched startled the crowed parking lot. My guesses were right; the whole Oakheart was here.

Seth seemed just as shocked as I was. He didn't expect the whole town to show up for his return to school. Worst part was that they weren't here to support his return. They were here to feed their curiosity. To gossip.

Suddenly I wish that I could disappear. Or stay inside the car where it was safe and peaceful. But how was that gonna help Seth?

"I'm not going out there." Seth said freaked out as my parents parked the car.

My mom's head spun around "What?" she said angrily "Of course you will."

Seth shook his head "No. There's too many people... I, I- can't."

"Don't be ridiculous. They are all our friends, you've know them since kindergarten. You'll step out of the car and smile and say thank you for coming."