Chapter 61 - The Truth

CHAPTER 61 - THE TRUTH

Sometimes I wonder why things have to turn out the way they do.

Who gets to decide about that? Who is responsible for everyone's fate? Is it God? Is it someone else? And if someone is indeed responsible for our fate, why does it chooses the worst endings for some people?

I didn't know who was responsible for my brother's fate but whoever it was, I sure as hell owned that person a thank you for saving my brother.

He had made it out alive –much to everyone's surprise.

It was a Christmas miracle I decided. And I was lucky to spend it with all my family members. From now on I would never take anything for granted again.

Ryder felt as relived as I was when I hang up the phone and delivered him the news; Seth after having his stomach pumped and puking for hours, had finally survived and the heroin had been soaked up from his stomach. He was exhausted but alive.

Safe -for now at least.

I left immediately Ryder's house after the phone call, wanting to be by my brother's side now that he could see visitors.

Firstly though I made a short cut to the church I was before and didn't hesitate a second to kneel down in front of the prie dieu to pray to God and ask for forgiveness; I had doubt faith and God in a very critical moment instead of praying for my brother's well being.

I would never doubt or lose my religion ever again.

After that I went straight to the hospital where I found my parents angrily fighting with each other.

"What happened?" I asked alarmed as I approached them.

My mom had tears in her eyes when she spoke; "Your brother kicked us out of the room. He said to the nurses that we upset him."

Now that I could believe. Who knew what my parents had said to him to upset him. I could only guess that they didn't comfort him that's for sure.

The door to his room opened and Ryder's mom stepped out. She forced a practiced smile when she saw me; "Chloe, good thing you are here. He's been asking for you."

That surprised me. Was he really? Wasn't he mad at me for ratting him out? Or that was the reason he wanted to see me, to fight with me?

I hesitated for a couple of seconds and after I shot my parents a long look, I worked up the courage to go inside.

And surely there he was.

He was lying on the bed looking exhausted and the worst he could ever look. The dark circles under his half closed eyes betrayed his lack of sleep and exhaustion. His once healthy brown hair looked like they hadn't been washed for days and were stuck to his once youthful face.

He was put on monitors and had tubes and pipes going down through his mouth and nose to his stomach. The sight was horrifying and I looked away feeling like I was going to be sick.

He certainly didn't look like a sixteen year old boy anymore. But I would take this image of him than the image of his lifeless body spasming on the ground any day.

"Hey." He said, his voice cracked, probably from all the hours he had spent puking.

"Hey." I whispered, my voice cracking as well but in relief and gratitude that I was seeing him again.

I hardly believe the past twelve hours that I will see him again. That I will talk to him.

"Sit." He said, gesturing one of the chairs next to his bed.