1.2 - Championships

In case of any confusion: the picture is the stretch Harry and Effy are doing. Imagine him hovering over her and pushing her leg down to touch the floor. It's used to stretch out your hamstrings.

Harry
____

I could hear the crowd roaring from outside the arena. The warm wind caused a small chill to run down my arms but I think it's mostly because of my nerves. Today was a day where Dylan, Kiara, Effy and I get to show the Dragons what we have to offer. It was our job to beat them, and I think this year we actually could.

"I don't know about you guys but I'm ready to kick some ass!" Coach pats Dylan and I's back as we walk through the arena doors.

"Coach, swear words." I see Effy and Dylan roll their eyes at the corner of my own once we reach the front desk.

"We're here to sign in for Championships."

"Name please" The nice lady asks.

"The Lions." she passes us our badges and we walk into the gym.
____

Loud music pounds in my ears and the crowd screams and cheers as we watch the Dragons complete their signature triple full in. A small hint of jealousy waves through my body at the fact that neither Effy, Kiara or Dylan and I have figured out how to do those tricks. But we don't need those tricks. We are clean, polished, strong and as I try to convince myself that we are better a small smile plays on my lips.

"Hey Harry can you stretch me?" Effy lifts her legs above her head and waits for me to push it against the floor to give her muscles a strength. I begin to walk over and I catch Dylan and Kiara doing the same thing except Kiara has a scowl on her face.

"You seem nervous." Effy whispers. Her foot is touching the ground as I lean over her pushing her leg down. I can't help the feeling of my heart beating a bit faster despite the fact that I've done this a million times before.

"I am. This is the championships and I really don't want to be second to the Dragons this year. It's our senior year, I want us to make it all the way."

"You know scouts our in the crowd tonight. They might be looking at us, they might really see what we have and hopefully be interested enough to ask us for scholarships." I watch as her eyes sparkle even more at the thought of getting a scholarship. All my life I've known Effy and this is the one dream she's always had.

"You're only making me more nervous Effs."

"Don't be, we've practiced hard and look at you...-" She pauses as her eyes roll up and down my body that is still hunching over top of hers. I feel yet another chill run across my skin "...you are much stronger now."

"I just want to win."

"We will." Her eyes flicker to our bodies that are only inches apart. Her legs are sprawled open and if I flicked my eyes down although clothed she'd be exposed to me. I can't quite understand why I'm seeing all of this now. These poses, these small eye flicks, smirks, weird pockets of tension... have they always been there?

"Uh- don't you think you're stretched now?" I ask. My hand lifts from her leg and slowly pulls it to now join the other. She lifts her head and lets her elbows hold her up.

"Thanks Harry." Her smile tells me she knows what I am thinking and that only makes my stomach flop twice over.

"Alright everyone. Next up will be the Lions!!!" The announcers voice booms through the room telling us that is our turn and interrupting Effy and I's awkward exchange.

"Listen up you assholes!" Coach Louis claps his hands together as he walks over. A bright pink water bottle is in his hands and his Lion's hat is on backwards. He looks stressed and just as nervous as I feel. "I am sick and tired of coming in second place. I am not joking. If I don't see you guys seriously kicking some Dragon ass I will not hesitate to walk on that floor and shove all your heads up each others asses and make you all eat shit because that's how I'd feel! Like shit!"