4.0 - Epilogue

Effy
___
2 years since high school
University of Florida
___

The sun was warm on my skin, but my heart was harsh against my chest.

750 days without him, and here I am at his university, looking for my first class, and also looking for him.

I never meant for things to turn out this way, and ever since he left me at graduation I've been trying to mend it back together.

"Hi, my name is Effy Bell. I got a late acceptance and today is my first day." My back was sweaty from the pressure of my bag, and the hot Florida sun. I could feel the heat's tole it had on my olive skin. A few days here and I'm already a shade darker.

"Sure honey, come right this way, I'm sure the Dean would want to meet you." The receptionist was round with horrible fashion taste, her voice was annoying, but at least she was nice.

She lead me through large wooden doors and into a small light green office. "Take a seat honey." She smiled one last time and walked back through the heavy doors.

"Effy right?" I didn't even notice the Dean that stood across his office towards his bookshelf. He had a yellow file in his hand that I assume it was mine.

"Yes sir." I answered politely. I tried wiping off the sweat that formed on my forehead, but it seemed Florida had no clue what an AC was.

"My name is Dean Millers, but if you must call me any other name I prefer Sir." Like me, sweat bundled just on the edge of his thin brown hair, and under his arm pits, making a unappealing see-through puddle that went all the way down his long sleeve plaid shirt.  His pants were to tight, and his shoes seemed to big with every awkward thud back to his desk. His uneven body fell back onto his chair before he gave me a small smile and took a napkin to wipe his forehead. "Hot huh?" He asked with a huff.

I nodded in annoyance and frustration. "I just came for my times table, room number and key."

He was nodding his head up and down, as his fingers went through his desk. "Mhm." He hummed in appreciation. "Here they are!" He half chuckled. The paper that touched my hand was damp with cold coffee stains but the key was still intact.

"I don't need to inform you on the rules here, Ms. Bell, because I know that you wouldn't do anything to disrupt the lovely university we have here."

"No sir." I calmly smiled. I'm just here because I lost everything else.

"Hope you love our University." He spoke with genuine happiness, but his face spoke otherwise.

And before I could get myself untangled with him I quickly hurried out the door into the court yard. As I walked past chattering people I could feel my phone vibrate against my dark jean pocket.

"Hi Mom." She was the last person I wanted to talk to considering how much I'd hurt her. But let's be honest, I've hurt a lot of people in the last few years.

"How is it?" Her voice was somber, and it was killing me slowly.

"Different. A new start so I can't complain, it's what I asked for."

"You shouldn't of done what you did... I mean Effy, you had a scholarship, you had everything-"

"I know mom, please don't remind me."

"I'm just so disappointed." The words made me want to rip out my hair, scream, cry. All the choices I've made have been nothing but false ones, but I can't change them now.

"I'll talk to you later mom." I said before hanging up and pulling out my journal.

New Start List:
1. Make your mom proud
2. Better grades
3.Find Harry
4....