1.8

Harry
_____

"Good evening baby." Ashley walked past the kictchen counter and kissed me on the cheek. Her hands found my jacket and peeled it off my shoulders before hanging it up. "We're making treats for your acro fundraiser, but I promise we made an extra batch of cinnamon chocolate chip with extra chocolate chips just for you." Her lips peppered my cheek once more before she returned back to the kitchen.

"Honey, you never told me you had a girlfriend. I know I'm not home much due to the hospital but still."

"I stopped by a few hours ago to drop off your textbook sweetie you forgot it in my car and when your mom answered we got to talking and well..."

They were giggling and smiling and my heart was racing and pounding. I wasn't able to form a sentence with the absolute shock that fueled by body.

"Uh- I... Ashley, can I talk to you?"

"Sure sweet pea but make it quick the ginger snaps are almost out of the oven." I took her hand and lead her into our dinning room. I still couldn't fathom the thought they my mother and my crazy girlfriend have not just met but are cooking ginger fucking snaps together. My mind was reeling with anxiety but I knew I had to do this.

"What's wrong honey bee?"

"Enough with all these nick names."

"But they're cute."

"And you can't keep coming over unexpected... let alone doing my laundry or pretending to be a housewife with my mom."

"What are you saying Harry?" I was shaking my head frantically. My courage was slowly decreasing as I saw her hardened face. Say it Harry, say it. Don't be a fucking pussy. My body was telling me otherwise. I could feel my shoulders slouch and my head lower. Despite all the 'training' Effy and Dylan taught me on how to be 'charming and cool' nothing can prepare you for telling someone the truth.

"We've known each other for a long time, well, you didn't know I existed until this year but we were in the same class just as long as I've known Dylan." The words were coming up like vomit; falling out of my mouth uncontrollably so my head wouldn't give me a chance to think twice.

"And that's okay, I understood why no one ever saw me because despite my want I never put an effort to be seen, but this year I finally took a chance. I changed my clothes, my hair, my attitude, and I don't blame anyone for forcing me to change because I wanted it to and I think it's made me more confident in myself. I wanted you for far too long and I think that all those dreams of us being together made this... the real thing not so 'magical.'' My hands were shaking at the sides and I hated myself for not being able to look directly at her.

"I just think we aren't who we thought each other would be, but I am so fucking glad I was even able to find this out, and that you were even able to give me a chance but I just think that we aren't right together." Her facial expression hasn't changed, didn't falter one bit and as I willed my body to suck in one last breath I finally said the words that have been circling my head.

"I think we should see other people, but maybe we could still be friends."

"No."

"What?" I knew my eyes were frantic looking at hers. She was angry that I understood but the way her face began to turn a red and her hands balled into fist made me rethink how angry she might actually be.

"I said no."

"But- but-" I was dumbfounded at a loss for all words and all thoughts. It was like God was slamming me on the head saying, Here's another challenge for you Harry! Good luck getting yourself outta this mess! ha ha ha!