3.2 - The Circus Part 1

Harry
____

Today was the day- the day I've been waiting for my whole life. It's something I'd dreamed, and drooled for and I don't know If I could of ever been more happy.

"I'm so nervous, my sponsor for the university is here to watch me, and if this is good I think I'll get not just a half but full scholarship... I need this." Effy was smiling, her hair was done in a high bun, her track suit nice and slim on her body.

I felt alive, and whole- knowing that we gave ourselves to each other just a day ago, and now experiencing something we've both been waiting for together.

Dylan hadn't shown up yet, I am sure he didn't want to be around Effy and I. I suppose the hate was mutual, but the only hate I think he has for me is that I have the girl he wants.

The stadium was the biggest I've ever seen, decorated in red, and yellow with a huge floor in the center and stands that reached all the way around. It was breathtaking, and nerve racking.

My hand slide against my thighs as the group sat down, and Coach went to go sign us in.

"How do you get your hair to stay in those ringlets?" Effy asked Kiara. I ignored their girl talk and stood up.

I tried to count the rows of stands that lines this place, but after 70 my heart began to pound with emotions and I shut my eyes tight, praying for us to do good.

"Where the hell is O'Brien?" Coach growled. He handed us all our numbers, that decipher which athlete we are.

Effy's eyes darted to me, and then back to coach. Her teeth nibbled on her lip as if she was withholding information "I texted him, he said he was on his way."

Clenching my fists I pushed down any feelings I had towards the fact that after everything she was still texting him. "I need some air." I announced to no one and everyone.

"ALL ATHLETES PLEASE ARRANGE IN A GROUP AT EXIT B! PLEASE ARRANGE IN A GROUP AT EXIT B, THE COMPETITION WALK IN WILL BEGIN SHORTLY." The PA was loud and annoying in my ear as Coach pushed us harshly towards the door across the center.

Coach screamed over the other athletes and another PA announcement."No time Styles! It's time to start! And where the bloody hell is O'Brien!"

Bodies were shuffling tightly together as the athletes and their coaches reached the Exit and arranged in the orders of our team in alphabetical order. I latched onto Effy's hand, making sure she stood with me as the opening music began and we were ushered to walk out.

The stairs towards the podium were coming closer and my nerves were bubbling up in my empty stomach even more. Just as Kiara (who's in the front) was about to step onto the stairs I caught Dylan scrambling into the line, his hair a mess, but his tracksuit and gymsuit on his body. His eye was black and blue, from my fist and probably from lack of sleep, his lip was red with a scab and his cheek had a green bruise. I don't know if it was barbaric of me, but I felt no remorse.

"Next up! THE LIONS!" We waved and smiled just like how Coach taught us to. The crowd was surprisingly packed, and filled the room with loud clapping and hollering. It felt good, riveting... an addictive high to be in front off so many people, do something you love.

As the opening came to an end all the teams were ushered off the stage, and the competition started right away. We followed coach to our change room right away, checking the schedule. We were third out of 10, right after the Dragons, but we were also confident.

"Where the hell were you? You think I have time for you to shit shit up!? This isn't a little invitational meet Dylan, this is THE CIRCUS! Something we have all worked long and hard for. And you are not going to screw this up for anyone anymore! GOT IT!?" Coach was screaming at Dylan in the corner of our space, making sure he could hear every word he was saying.

And unlike Dylan he was quiet, nodding his head in approval and once the yelling was done he sat down nicely to stretch in a corner with Kiara.

"Are you excited?" I asked Effy, but her eyes were glued on Kiara and Dylan. Although the room was small you couldn't hear what he was saying to her. Her face was in shock and before I knew it her hand came in contact with his cheek, slapping the very spot I punched just a day ago. Unlike the talking, we did hear her sob, and scream incoherent words at him before walking towards Effy and slapping her too.

Tears were streaming down Kiara's face, and Effy's eyes were wide, letting her hand grab onto to the newly hot skin. "What the fuck was that for Kiara?" I spoke, staring at all three of them.

"You wanna tell him? Or should I?" She said through a clenched jaw. Her eyes were narrow and her face full of anger.

"Kiara don't."

"Don't what?" I begged someone to pay attention to me.

"You are both so disgusting." She whimpered back towards Dylan. He still sat on the floor and my heart was leaping out of my chest in agony, my mind exploding in scenarios to whatever they were referring to.

"Lions, you're on in 1 minute." The PA annoucement.

Coach walked back in through the door, and examined our faces. "There's no fucking time for this." He growled pulling us together in a circle. "Listen. I don't care what the hell has gone on with all of you, but I do know that for literally all of your life's you guys have been working to this goal. It shouldn't matter what you are all fighting about as long as you go out there and put in the effort, you know we all deserve to give. This isn't about yourselves right now, this is about all the years as a team. Don't let us fucking down."

And although the speech Coach Louis gave was the most inspiring things he's ever said, my heart felt empty as I peered over at Effy's (pale) scared face, and my body quivered with anger, looking at Dylan's.

This time we didn't chant, we didn't hug. Walking out towards the stairs I pulled Effy towards me, kissing her one last time hard and feverishly on the mouth, because I know that once we step on that stage, we leave everything here. And I know that when our performance is done, and she tells me what has made my mind ignore my hollowing heart for weeks, we'll never be the same again.

"I don't think you're going to forgive me after this." She confessed, as we walked onto the stage.

"I care for you to much."

"That won't matter." She whispered as we got into position.

"Then what does?" The crowd was clapping, Coach was screaming.

This. The now. Harry,... just flip me."

And the music began to play.

***

The truth will not set anyone free next chapter.

TALK TO ME:
Do you like Kiara? Please Explain :)

8 CHAPTERS REMAIN!