Interview with anchorsahoy

I got to interview anchorsahoy, who's story What These Bruises Say has 1.8 million and counting reads. I like to read an authors story before interviewing them, and I definitely wasn't disappointed with her work! Here's the interview:

•••

Who is your favorite author (It can be on Wattpad or in general)?

i adore john green and thats so cliche white girl of me. but his books really hit home and i love to read them. 

What inspired you to first start writing? Is it a big part of your life?

one direction ruined my life oh lord. a fan fiction appeared on my twitter so i went to read it and then i thought, "wow i should try to write" and i did. didn't expect it to turn out like this though. 

What was your reaction when you first hit over 1 million reads?

i think i screamed, really loudly. called my cousin sara ((whos in almost all my stories lolol)) and i just continued to tell people i made it. 

What can you say to frustrated writers who work hard but never get many reads?

promote promote promote. use every piece of social media you have. tumblr and twitter helped me tremendously. also, continue to write dont stop because you arent gaining reads. and donT DELETE THE STORY!!! aggravation is a real hardship as an author but dont delete your story. there are people reading your story and enjoy it, dont ruin it for them because of your frustration. 

Can you connect to any of the characters in your stories?

every main character is me... my first story came out at the start of my depression which is why it starts as a romance and takes a turn for the worse. each story i wrote started becoming attached to mental illness and death. my most popular series 'What These Bruises Say' was at the climax of my mentality and in the sequel 'Scarlett' she kills herself. little do people know it was all because i was suicidal so she was my release. after i had ended the book, i did try to commit but now i am so much better. and you can tell by my newer stories.

Where do you get inspiration for your stories?

inspiration comes mainly from dreams. my sleeping meds cause me to have pretty insane dreams which i then turn into stories. before the sleeping meds i used quotes on tumblr and just sort of turned the quote into a plot to make it original. 

How did you find about this website [Wattpad]?

my twitter connected me to the first ever fanfiction i saw, which happened to be wattpad. it feels like so long ago. 

What has influenced your current style of writing?

like i said before, my mental illness has caused my writing style to vary. humor was my one escape, so even though i was very depressed i still found a way to add humor into my writing. 

Lastly, do you have any advice in general for up and coming wattpad writers?

keep hope. keep writing. dont worry about anyones opinions but your own. good luck :)

•••

Thank you to anchorsahoy for doing the interview! Check out some of her work :)