Interview with scooby-snacks

This next interview is with scooby-snacks, who's story No Control has over 100k reads as of this interview. She's a very talented writer and while I was messaging her I couldn't help but take note of how kind she is!! Her story is amazing and definitely worth a read :)

•••

Who is your favorite author (It can be on Wattpad or in general)?

I love J.K. Rowling because I am a huge fan of Harry Potter, but I also love chick lit. Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series is one of my favourites, and I also love Lisa Jewell - I've read her book Thirty-Nothing so many times, but it just never gets old.

What inspired you to first start writing? Is it a big part of your life?

I've been writing since I was about seven or eight years old! I loved writing short stories, particularly in my teens, and hadn't written anything for ages until March 2015 when I joined Wattpad. Now I write nearly every day.

What was your reaction when you first hit over 100k reads?

It only happened this afternoon and I had been watching my read count all day! I squealed rather loudly, told my family, and then messaged my friends on Wattpad because I was so excited! I'd dreamed of this moment since people first started reading my book.

What can you say to frustrated writers who work hard but never get many reads?

It will happen - it's just sometimes a slow process. My book took eight months to hit 100k! But the best thing you can do (in my experience) is read other people's work, vote and comment. Follow the people that interest you, and get talking to fellow Wattpadders. Leave author's notes to get people involved in your writing, because it all helps to get your work noticed.

Can you connect to any of the characters in your stories?

Definitely! My female lead is a Directioner, because my No Control series is a Harry Styles fanfiction, so I can relate to her on so many levels. She has a lot of my character traits, and shares my opinions on a lot of things. She also has her own flaws and regularly makes mistakes, because I think it's important that characters have good points and bad points to make them realistic and relatable. Nobody's perfect, and she proves that on a daily basis! I also have four characters in my book that are my real-life friends, so I can relate to them too because I know them personally.

Where do you get inspiration for your stories?

I find it all around me - in conversations with my friends, in music, (the songs No Control and Little White Lies by One Direction inspired the entire series, and other songs have inspired entire chapters and plotlines), in places I visit and mostly my own life experiences. My books follow real-life events so that can occasionally be restricting, but I enjoy incorporating the boys' antics into my book and offering suggestions about some of the rumours that aren't always explained by the media.7. How did you find out about this website [Wattpad]?I read an article about a girl called Anna Todd getting a publishing deal on the back of her Harry Styles fanfiction on Wattpad. I'd never even heard of fanfiction, or Wattpad! So I googled them both, read a few stories, then created an account and decided to have a shot at writing my own story.

What has influenced your current style of writing? 

Probably the books I have read. I like to inject a bit of humour in my writing, even if it's just a funny one-liner in the middle of an emotionally-wrought argument, and I love the way J.K. Rowling drops humour into her books, without making it a focal point of the story. I write what I like to read, so a lot my own character is obvious in my writing style.

Lastly, do you have any advice in general for up and coming wattpad writers?

Proofread! And edit. Then proofread again. I'm a stickler for spelling, punctuation and grammar and I can spend hours checking my work repeatedly before I post it. Be proud of what you write. If you don't love it, don't expect anyone else to love it! But I believe your passion shows in your writing, and I absolutely love writing my books.

•••

A huge thank you to Rachel! Definitely check out her stories!!