Interview with alex-dawson

My next interview is with alex-dawson, who's stories transgender ➳ phan, call me dan ➳ phan, and repeating days ➳ phan all have surpassed 1 million reads. Here it is:

•••

Who is your favorite author (It can be on Wattpad or in general)?
My favorite author on Wattpad is either FearMePlease or iwatobiellie. I've read iwatobiellie's The Benefits Project at least 10 times, it's so good!!

What inspired you to first start writing? Is it a big part of your life?
The thing that inspired me was just other authors on wattpad. When I first found this website I was like 'hey, if they can make a really good book so can i.' So I wrote one and it was literally the worst book in existence. But I kept writing and writing and eventually I got better. And I would definitely say writing is a big part of my life. It lets me release all of my creativity and I find it really enjoyable.

What was your reaction when you first hit over 1m reads? 
When I first hit 1m reads I screamed and rolled around on the floor (because I was laying down on the ground and I didn't want to get up). But after I calmed down I was telling all of my friends about it because I felt so proud and accomplished and it made me really happy.

What can you say to frustrated writers who work hard but never get many reads?
I've actually had a friend who had had a problem with this. I told her that it really shouldn't matter how many reads you get. Focusing on the numbers makes writing so much more stressful when all you really need to do is write because YOU want to write. Not for your book to get 'popular' or whatever.

Can you connect to any of the characters in your stories?
I can actually connect to most, if not all my characters. When I write I like to put a piece of myself into each character. So when I made Dan, a lot of his thoughts and feelings are what I feel and think. And same goes with PJ, Phil, Chris. I can relate to everyone except Dan's mom, Jessica. 

Where do you get inspiration for your stories?
I usually just read other fanfictions or books until I get the feeling like I want to write something. Because I like to think that maybe what I write could be as good as theirs, but it never is.

How did you find about this website [Wattpad]?
Back in 5th grade when I was literally the biggest one direction fan I heard about this one larry fanfiction called '99 days without you' I think. And I heard that a bunch of other people cried over it so I wanted to cry over it to. Which I did. I was sobbing.

What has influenced your current style of writing?
Um I really don't know. I think that I've written so much and for so long that eventually I just found the right writing style for me. And as I got better I realized that my previous writing was really bad so I've deleted a lot of books, which is why it doesn't look like I write a lot. But I do.

Lastly, do you have any advice in general for up and coming wattpad writers?
The one thing that I can not stress enough is PLEASE DO NOT WRITE JUST FOR READS. If you write for that reason then writing won't be enjoyable for you. And if you are just doing that, your readers can tell through your writing. It really doesn't matter how many reads you get as long as you have fun writing.
Also, DON'T COPY OTHERS STORIES

•••

Huge thank you to Alex for doing the interview! Definitely check out her storie