Interview With orangechicken

I interviewed Nghi next, who goes by the user name orangechicken. She wrote I'll Protect You, which as of this interview has over 24 million reads. She is a very talented author and you would be missing out if you didn't check her out. So, without further ado, here's the interview:

‌•‌•‌•‌•‌•‌•

What inspired you to write I'll Protect You?
I was inspired by the movie The Princess Protection Program (mostly). I just wanted to write a story about a princess undercover and after watching the PPR, I started writing IPY.

What inspired you to write in Wattpad in general?
Wattpad is one of the biggest writing sites out there, and it's a great place for people to write and read and grow as young authors. I figured if I could write anywhere, it would be here.

What was your reaction when you first hit over a million reads?
I was absolutely shocked and really...confused. At first, I thought that Wattpad had another issue and they were going to fix it but I realized that the reads were real and then I just got really happy.

Is there anything specific you did to have your stories become so popular?
No, I don't know how my stories got popular. IPY spent years down low and mostly unnoticed. I don't even know how it did well because IPY is not my best writing. I guess I got lucky, and the plot was different enough to keep people reading.

Who is your favorite author and why?
J.K. Rowling since she's an amazing writer and I'm in love with Harry Potter

Can you relate to any of the characters in your stories? If so, who and in what ways?
I can relate to Park with her tendency to be forgiving and helpful to others. I do that a lot and that's what I can relate to the most.

Did you ever imagine you'd be so popular when you first started out on Wattpad?
Nope. I never imagined this at all.

How did you find out about Wattpad?
I don't remember honestly. I think I found a story on this site once and kept on reading more and more (this was years ago). Then I deleted that account, then a few years later I came back as orangechicken

Do you have any advice for any up and coming writers on Wattpad?
I would tell them that they should be writing because they enjoy writing. Their materials and their plots and characters should be what they have imagined and hoped to grow, not ways to gain popularity and became famous on the site.

Do you think you'll continue writing in the future?
Yes, I do! I'm going into writing when I enter college.

•‌•‌•‌•‌•‌•

Thank you to Nghi for allowing me to interview her! Go read her stories and follow her.