Chapter 1

"Did you happen to know John Gilbert?" I ask the lady in front of me. It's been 3 years since my father died and I have no clue how he died. "Oh yes I did. He was a great man. Who might you be?" The lady asked. "I'm Mae Gilbert. His daughter," I say smiling a bit. "Oh I'm so sorry for your loss. I didn't know Elena had a sister. I'm the sheriff of this town," she says putting her hand out with a sympathetic smile on her face. I smile and shake her hand. Who the hell is Elena? Whatever Mae, just ignore it.

"Your sister lost quite a lot that day. Jenna and John died on the same day," she says sipping on her coffee. There is this Elena again. I have to say something now. She can't be my sister, I'm an only child. "Excuse me? Sister? I'm an only child," I say furrowing my eyebrows. "Oh. The Gilbert family. Don't you know them?" She asks tilting her head to the side. There are more Gilbert's? "No I don't," I say furrowing my eyebrows. "Well John was Elena's uncle, but later on we found out that he was her father," the sheriff explained. "She would know more about him than I do. If you want, my daughter can introduce you to her," she says nicely. "I would like that," I say smiling.

Who is Elena? Apparently she is my sister. How did dad never tell me about her?

"Caroline! Come here please," she yells. This girl with beautiful blonde hair runs down the stairs. "What?" She says to her mom. "Caroline, meet Mae. She's John Gilbert's daughter. She would like to meet Elena Gilbert so can you introduce her?" She says with her hand pointing towards me.

She looks over at me with wide eyes and then nervously smiles. The smile looked so forced. Well, nice to see you too Caroline. Come on. Elena is a good friend of mine and I'm sure she would be happy to meet you," she says putting his hand out. I smile, more like tighten my cheeks so it kind of looks like I'm smiling, and grab her hand and we walk out the door.

I'm starting to like Mystic Falls. People are so nice here. "So what brings you here Mae?" Caroline asks as we walk out the door and turn left on the sidewalk. "I'm trying to find out more about how my father died," I say smiling weakly.

John Gilbert wasn't the nicest guy. He was an asshole. But he was my dad. And I loved him to death. The only thing I didn't like about him was that he didn't tell me anything. He went out of the house and didn't come back for months. It was like I didn't even matter.

For some reason Caroline's eyes widened when I said that I wanted to find out about my fathers death. Why? Does she know something? "Do you know something about my fathers death?" I ask her as we kept walking down the street. "We are here! That's her house," she says really fast and walking up the stairs of the house.

Before we even knock on the door this girl opens the door. "Hey Care. Who is this?" She says eyeing me. "This is Mae Gilbert. John's daughter," she says to get looking at me. Elena's eyes widen. "Hello sister," I say putting my hand out with a smirk. The element of surprise is great. Her reaction was priceless. It isn't really the time to be enjoying myself, but I can't help it.