7. The Road she took

Dedicated to Dreamzangel21 for the constant support and encouragement! Love ya hun!

This chapter is unedited so please excuse the grammatical errors
________

Suzzanah's POV

My heart hurt and my eyes burned with unshed tears. I had sworn to myself that I would never let myself become that poor little helpless child who was burdened by her powerlessness and inabilities and despite that, I had ended up right there in that hopeless corner again, and it hurt so much!

I grimaced and looked at the ground wishing it would swallow me up as I waited for Mr. Penson to fire me and tell me to get out, just like the CEO had done.

"Your apology serves no purpose Ms. Winters," he said and I flinched, "Especially not when you haven't done anything wrong"

My head shot up so fast that it took my eyes a few seconds to fixate on Mr. Penson's frame. Mr. Talon, who had been looking extremely pale and even a little bit constipated all this time suddenly, looked astounded, his eyes widening in anticipation and something else, which looked a lot like hope.

"What happened today was but a mere slip", Mr. Penson continued as I found it hard to believe the words he was saying, "It had nothing whatsoever to do with your work ethic, your efficiency or your capabilities."

A slow smile brimming with hope and gratitude started stretching across my face as he continued.

"All it told me is that I must remember to keep you sufficiently hydrated at all times"

Immediately a heavy blush painted my cheeks like a wine stain, but it didn't keep my smile from getting bigger and more genuine.

"I have high expectations of you Ms. Winters", Mr. Penson said smiling at me, "now you can either stand there apologizing to me about 'could have beens' or you can prove yourself by doing your best at work here from here on forward, to me as well as the CEO"

At the mention of the CEO my heart fluttered but that feeling was over powered by the over whelming sense of gratefulness that I was feeling for the two people with me in this room.

"Can I count on you to do that Ms. Winters?" Mr. Penson asked with a warm smile.

I couldn't believe it! He was giving me another chance! My heart swelled and elation flowed interlaced with my blood through my entire body. I felt like I was soaring above the white clouds ready to grace the seventh heaven!

I pushed back the tears of gratitude and nodded vigorously, "Yes sir!"

"Good", Mr. Penson smiled warmly at me and I felt my respect and adoration for this man grow tenfold, "With that having been said, you can take the rest of the day off"

My eyes widened and confusion replaced my euphoria, but before I could protest he added, "That's an order by the way. Go change into something dry and rest up. From tomorrow you'll be working very hard. Here", he handed me a pen drive, "I have saved some important files in this drive. Have a look at them in your room. They have details regarding the paperwork we will be doing with our current clients. I'm assuming you have a laptop?"

Still feeling bad about leaving early on my first day, I replied to him by nodding at first but promptly added, "Yes Sir", when from the corner of my eye I saw Mr. Talon giving me his classic mentor-like glare.

Mr. Penson smiled at me before looking towards Mr. Talon, "Talon, the Vice president wanted to have a word with you"

Mr. Talon visibly stiffened and I immediately felt guilty that he would probably be yelled at because of me. I opened my mouth to speak on his behalf but Mr. Penson cut me off, "Not to worry, he just wants to talk about work. Nothing that happened within the CEO's office will be mentioned again. That applies to the both of you as well. Go on Mr. Talon"