29.5 Dangerous Games

Thank you so much to all of you who respond to the questions I ask on my message board. You're all such sweethearts!

IMPORTANT NOTE: This chapter is taking place in Canada on the Shadow Side, at the same time that chapter 28 is taking place in the US on the Werewolf side. This is right after Karina's call to Suzzanah get's disconnected.

Dedicated to alicesingh31 for always having been a sweetest and most wonderful reader ever! Love you honey and love your work! This cover and the others you made for Shadow Play are perfection!

The spectacular cover above was also made by the amazing alicesingh31.

PLEASE DO NOT COPY MY WORK! Especially not the concept of Shadow People. I will go bat-shit crazy on you! You have been warned!

This chapter is unedited so please excuse the grammatical errors. Enjoy!

____

Karina's POV

They're here...

The multitude of sounds from traffic, cars honking, machines buzzing and people talking were still not loud enough to keep me from hearing my own terrifying thoughts.

The bright fluorescent multicolored lights danced over me like luminescent waves of an ocean which looked lit on the surface, but was darker than black underneath.

They'll come for me...

Pulling my hoodie over my head, I kept walking, each step a little faster, each turn a little quicker. I didn't dare look up, I didn't dare let my eyes wander.

Because I was afraid of what I would see. And I knew I would see it.

I knew I would.

They're numerous...!

Just seconds ago I had gotten off the phone with Anna, and my heart was still in my throat from the unfathomable terror I had been feeling with every word that escaped my lips.

But just as luck would have it, the goddamn line was off. I could hardly hear her! Still, from what I did hear, she sounded okay. Maybe it was because she didn't know. She didn't know what was really going on.

And maybe it would have been better that way. Maybe it would have been better if I hadn't said anything to her.

After all...these people seemed to spare the ignorant. Its the ones who knew that became their targets for their twisted games.

But then I realized that I wasn't the only one surrounded by such non-human beings. Suzzanah was too. The organization that my sister worked in was also run by Supernaturals. Supernaturals who were ridiculously strong.

Supernaturals who were...dangerous...

The Royales...

My skin prickled as that name resounded in my mind. I didn't know what kind of Supernaturals they were yet, but from the little that I did know about them, I knew they were just as powerful and dark as the Magnifis'.

If not more...

And so, even though I knew it was perilous, even though I knew there was a definitive risk, I couldn't not say anything anymore. I had to let Anna know.