Prologue

A/N

This chapter is unedited, so please excuse the grammatical errors. Enjoy!

*****

Zuerien's POV

They say the more you try to forget something, the more you remember. I wonder then, if I will ever be able to forget at all...

Sitting silently on the large leather recliner, I gazed at the fire burning over the hearth, casting a red-orange glow around the large study. My eyes watched the flames as they danced over and around the burning wood, consuming it slowly, rigorously, mercilessly, till all that remained was dark grey ashes.

Outside the large glass windows, the wind blew ferociously, causing them to rattle occasionally. The constant sound of water falling outside on the window sill echoed in the quiet room. The rain which had started punctually at 12:00 am that morning, continued to fall incessantly, drenching the landscape in different shades of grey and black. But it would soon stop in a few minutes, when the clock would strike 12:00 am tomorrow.

As I leaned back against the recliner, feeling the memories resurface with a vengeance. Every single thing about this room was painfully familiar.

The bookshelves lining the walls of the large room holding books of every genre ever written, the polished light brown wooden floors and the musky scent of wet soil that remained ever present in the room, they all made me feel terribly nostalgic- a feeling I rarely ever dwelt upon.

Being surrounded by all these familiar things, I felt the memories of my past resurface with formidable strength- the same memories that I had locked away so deep within me that I couldn't reach them even if I tried to, except on one day- today, the 6th of July.

It was on this dreaded day that my entire family was massacred, wiped out without anything left but ashes. They were murdered in cold blood by the very people that my family trusted most in the world, and it happened today, 14 years ago.

The 6th of July was the only day of the year that I let myself remember, recollect and relive everything that happened that cursed day.

I lost everything that day. My family, my friends, everyone was gone, there was nothing left. I lost every single reason that could possibly hold me down to this world, except one- my promise.

The promise I made to my parents in their very last moments.

A promise to live.

After having made that promise I knew there was no going back. No matter how hard things got, no matter how painful it became to go on, I had to keep living, I would never give up.

The pain was unbearable, but I was used to it. Pain was the only feeling that had never left me, not once since that day. Even though I lived every second of my life trying to ignore it, it was always present. And to be completely honest I was grateful for it, because it reminded me that I was still capable of feeling, it reminded me that I was alive.

But a life without purpose is no life at all

Until that dark day when my family was murdered, my purpose for living was simple and clear. I lived each day to see my family happy, to see them healthy, to see them alive.

But after I had lost every last person I had ever loved, I realised that without another purpose there was no way I would be able to keep the promise I made to my parents.

So I gave myself a new purpose to live- my parents' dream. Their dream to have me succeed them and ascend the throne, to be the next High Ruler of all Werewolves and to rule the werewolf kind with justice and love.