50. The Right Decision

I SWEAR, YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST READERS EVER! I CAN'T LOVE YOU GUYS ENOUGH!

I'm extremely sorry for the late update. Hope its worth it.

Dedicated to stalkingouutacontrol . You're the most amazing kind of reader. Thanks for everything honey!

A huge shoutout to Reneta2 for your incredible support and encouragement towards this story. Thank you!

PLEASE DO NOT COPY MY WORK!

This chapter is unedited so please excuse the grammatical errors. Enjoy!

_____

Zuerien's POV

Everything's falling apart...

As my eyes watched the frail form of my precious mate, lying motionlessly on the large bed, I felt another part of my soul break and crumble silently.

Everything's falling apart, Suzzanah...

Even though, on the outside I still kept my head up, and stood tall and strong and fearless, on the inside I felt so weak and numb that I couldn't even feel my heart. My eyes returned to my mate's pale face and unbearable despair flooded my body.

I couldn't feel my heart...because she was lying before me broken, and I...I couldn't protect her...

"Suzzanah", my voice came as a whisper so pained that it made it hard for me to hear it.

My mind was such a chaotic mess that nothing made sense to me anymore. The sight of my mate's bruised and battered body made me want to scream and roar and tear the entire world apart.

I couldn't protect her; I couldn't protect my mate.

I couldn't protect her...from my own people.

"ARGGHH!" I fisted my hair and bellowed out loud, aggravation and desolation raging inside of me.

I felt so messed up on the inside that it made me want to set everything on fire. I didn't know whom to trust, I didn't know what to believe. I didn't know what I was supposed to do now.

The people who were supposed to cherish her most, were the ones that ended up breaking her. And I let it happen. I let this happen to my Suzzanah.

I was so blinded by my faith in my people that I didn't even see this coming. I didn't even imagine that this could happen. I didn't do anything to protect her.

My mate is broken...

And I did this to her...

Agonizing pain gripped my heart and I grit my teeth, sucking in a sharp breath. Everything was falling apart and it hurt. It hurt so much.

You felt this pain too...didn't you, my Suzzanah? No, you felt much worse, didn't you? And I...I couldn't do anything for you...

A pained howl resonated throughout my body and I exhaled a ragged breath, clutching my chest.

Kai...

He was the only one who understood the depths of my despair, who felt the unbearable intensity of my grief. He hadn't spoken a word since Suzzanah had fallen unconscious in the woods. Since we got word that the Shadow had been found. Since we found out...that it was one of our own.

Everything's falling apart...and I don't know what to do...

My eyes invariably found their way back to my mate's face and I stood up from the chair and bent closer to her. The pale skin of her face was marred with blue-black bruises, a deep red gash cut into her otherwise color drained lips.