Chapter 13: Best Friends?

Aphmau was talking with Garroth before they trained.

His helmet is back on. Aphmau thought. It was nice while it lasted I guess. Garroth has been acting strange lately. I wonder what's wrong.

"Hey Garroth!" Aphmau said.

"Hello Lady Aphmau, how are you?" asked Garroth.

"I'm a bit tired. Haven't gotten much sleep lately." replied Aphmau.

"Neither have I." said Garroth.

"So is that what has been bothering you?" asked Aphmau.

"What do you mean?" asked Garroth.

"Well you've been avoiding eye contact with me, giving me short answers and now you're helmet is back on." said Aphmau. "It seems like you're trying to avoid me."

"I'm not avoiding you Lady Aphmau." said Garroth.

"Well this can't be just because you're tired." said Aphmau.

Garroth was silent and looked to the ground.

"Look, we've been like best friends for how long now? If there's something wrong, you can tell me ok?" said Aphmau. "If something was wrong with me, you'd be the person I'd talk to."

Garroth looked up. "Y-you think we're best friends?" he asked.

"I don't think it. I know it." said Aphmau "We can't lie to each other, you were always there for me, I'm always here for you, we've been through the most together, and you were the first person I talked to when I came to Phoenix Drop."

"Wow, I-I thought Cadenza or Kawii~Chan would be your best friend." said Garroth.

"Well I do have best friends that are girls, but when it comes to guys your my best friend." said Aphmau playfully punching him in the shoulder. Some days i wish more than friends though. Aphmau thought. Some days.

"Well... I guess there is something bothering me." said Garroth.

"What is it?" asked Aphmau.

Then Garroth talked so fast it sounded like one word. "I'mreallynervousthatifyoumarryZanethathe'llkillyouormakeyouintoashadowknightandIdon'tthinkIcouldlivewithmyselfifyougothurtIsawyoukissLaurenceIthinkthatZaneislieingaboutmenotneedingtomarrytheprincessofScaleswindanymoreI'mworriedaboutyoubeingforcedtomarrymystupidlittlebrotherbecauseIknowhowthingsgowithforcedmarragesandtheyneverturnoutrightandIknowthatyouwon'tbehappyyoursmilelightsupmyworldandallIwantisforyoutobehappyandsafe."

Aphmau stared at him in amazement. "First of all, wow you can talk for a long time without taking a breath. Second, please don't worry for me Garroth. Look, I don't want to marry Zane. Irene knows. I'm doing this for the safety Phoenix Drop."

"Your practically committing your life to someone that you hate, walking into death by doing so, and leaving everyone that you know and love behind. Just so you can protect Phoenix Drop?"asked Garroth.

"Yes." replied Aphmau.

Garroth walked closer and hugged Aphmau. She accepts the hug by wrapping her arms around him. Her heart fluttered.

"You are the bravest person I've ever met." said Garroth.

"Thank you." said Aphmau.

There was a moment of silence. Then they broke apart from the hug. Garroth took of his helmet and let it role out of his hands onto the ground, without taking his eyes off of Aphmau. His eyes. Its always so nice to see his wonderful eyes. Thought Aphmau while smiling. I could get lost in them forever. Aphmau's heart started to flutter more. She leaned in closer to Garroth.

"So what did you say about Laurence?" Aphmau whispered.