Chapter 25: Change

Aphmau turned around shocked.

She laughed nervously. "I... uh.." I can't pretend to be a shadow knight. He'll know I'm lying. Aphmau thought. "This isn't Lucinda's house..."

Laurence glared at her with his red eyes. "No this isn't." He said.

Aphmau dashed over to the portal and started to chip away at it with her diamond pickax.

Laurence pulled out a bow and arrow and aimed at her. "Put down the pickax or I'll shoot." said Laurence.

Aphmau dropped her pickax.

"That's a good girl. Now step away from the portal." said Laurence.

Aphmau didn't budge.

"Is this how you really want to play this Aphmau?" asked Laurence.

"No." said Aphmau "I don't want to play this at all."

"Then step away." said Laurence.

"That's not what I meant." said Aphmau "What happened to you? You rejected this path before. Why do you enter now? You told me that you wanted to protect this village."

"That's before I realized how powerful I can become. To prove I was no longer loyal I burned it to the ground." said Laurence.

"Y-You did that? YOU DESTROYED PHOENIX DROP?!!!!" screamed Aphmau.

"Yes, with some help of Brendon and Brian." said Laurence.

"B-Brian?" said Aphmau.

"Yes. He has hidden it well don't you think?" said Laurence.

"Brian? But he was born and raised here!" said Aphmau "Why would he betray his own village?"

"Guard camp changes people Aphmau." said Laurence.

"What?" asked Aphmau.

"Brian isn't one for backstories." said Laurence. "All he said to us was something happened to him around the time at guard camp that changed him."

"But what happened?" asked Aphmau.

"I don't know. He probably wanted more power." said Laurence "Like me."

"No." said Aphmau "The Laurence that I know wouldn't do this for power."

"Well I'm not the Laurence you once knew." said Laurence "The old me is gone."

"I refuse to believe that." said Aphmau "The Laurence I once knew is still in there. The Laurence who would risk his own life for to protect his people, the funny witty Laurence that used to-"

"SHUT UP!" yelled Laurence as he fired his arrow.

Aphmau deflected it with her sword. "The Laurence that understands every point of view in anything!"

Laurence charged at her with his sword. Aphmau ducked to the side so the sword missed. Laurence swung his sword once again, Aphmau blocked his strike. As the two swords clanged, Aphmau felt a surge of power. Not coming from her, but Laurence's sword. Before Aphmau knew it her sword evaporated from her hands.

"Wha!?" said Aphmau.

Laurence walked closer to her with his sword aimed.

"Laurence... I need you to snap out of it! This isn't you!" as Aphmau said that. she was backed into a corner. I have nowhere to go. Aphmau thought. "Please, don't hurt me!" She covered her face with her arms.

Laurence readied his sword to strike.

"No Laurence please!" Aphmau pleaded.

Laurence swung his sword at Aphmau, but only the tip touched her.

"Wha?!" said Aphmau. She looked at Laurence.

Laurence was struggling to not kill her.

Aphmau was so confused.

Laurence dropped to his knees. "I can't do it." he said. After he said that, darkness surrounded him.

"L-Laurence!" Aphmau said.

The dark smokey darkness left him and charged to the portal. There was a loud bang. The portal was opened! Aphmau ran over to it and grabbed her pickax and started to mine the obsidian. Don't come through! Don't come through! Aphmau thought.

Aphmau herd the girl voice from earlier. "I'm coming!"

Aphmau continued to mine. She recognized the voice after thinking about it. The voice belonged to Sasha.

"Better hurry up!" said Sasha.

"Oh my gosh no!" said Aphmau.

She was finally able to break it successfully. There was a blast that knocked Aphmau off her feet.

"No!" yelled Sasha.

She saw Laurence come closer to her. She held her pickax toward him.

He stopped and held out his hand. "I'm so sorry Aphmau." said Laurence. Aphmau grabbed his hand and he helped her up.

"Traitor! Once a traitor, always a traitor!" yelled Sasha.

"Then why did you help me?" asked Aphmau.

"I wasn't!" said Sasha "I wanted you to see the truth unfold! Once we shadow knights came through, but "mr. I can't do it" here didn't light the portal. So once you rejected the shadow knight side for the second time, his power gave up on him, and did the task that he had to do. It was one simple thing Laurence. Light the portal, then Kill Aphmau to unlock your full potential."

"Sorry, but not sorry." said Aphmau. "Laurence isn't gonna kill me."

"You have no right to have your voice to be in our realm anymore Sasha! Get out of here!" said Laurence.

"Fine." said Sasha. "But remember this! Every decision will have its consequences and things will change, things will change!"