Chapter 17: Confessed

It was the day of the dreaded wedding. Aphmau was in her dressing room, sitting at a vanity staring into her reflection.

I don't know if I can do this. Aphmau thought. She looked at her white bridal dress. I hate this. A tear leaked from her eye. Am I in over my head on this one? This is for the safety of Phoenix Drop. I have to do this. Committing my life to Zane though? I can't. Garroth said I was the bravest person that he has ever met, what do I do? She looked into her eyes through the mirror. Do I even know if this is the right decision? I... I love Garroth not his brother. I wish he was here. Where even is he? Is it best if I don't know? I want to know if he is ok. Aphmau sighed. Where could you be Garroth? Do I worry too much?

There was a knock on the door. My day couldn't get worse. "Come on in." Aphmau called.

The door opened then closed. Aphmau turned around. Oh my gosh! Tears of happiness came out of her eyes. "Garroth!" She ran over to Garroth and hugged him. "You're here! I was so worried for you!"

"I was worried for you too." said Garroth while he wrapped his arms around her.

Aphmau's heart started to beat fast. "What are you doing here? You know what, I don't care. I'm just happy your here." she separated from the hug. Aphmau didn't want to, but she didn't want to make things awkward.

"You look beautiful Aphmau." said Garroth.

Aphmau blushed. "Thank you. You look very handsome."

"Thank you Lady Aphmau." Garroth said.

Aphmau smiled. I'm so happy your safe!

Garroth smiled back.

"How are you?" Aphmau asked.

"I'm fine Lady Aphmau, how are you?" Garroth asked.

"Wishing this wedding wasn't happening." said Aphmau. She walked over to the couch and sat down.

Garroth sat down beside her. "I would tell you everything would be alright, but I would never lie to you."

"I know." said Aphmau. "If I say "I don't" to Zane, would you no longer see me as brave?"

"You are always brave in my eyes." said Garroth. "Lady Aphmau, sometimes you also need to think of your own happiness."

"All I want to do is protect Phoenix Drop." said Aphmau.

"I wish to protect Phoenix Drop too but I also wish to protect you Lady Aphmau."said Garroth.

"I want to protect you too. We want to protect things that we fall in love with." said Aphmau.

There was silence.

"Aphmau. There is something I need to tell you. Something that I've been wanting to tell you for a long time now, and since this may be the last time I see you alone I need to tell you this." said Garroth.

"What is it Garroth?" asked Aphmau. If he says he's a shadow knight, that would be hilarious pay back.

"I love you Lady Aphmau." confessed Garroth.

Aphmau was silent. She blushed and smiled. Her heart felt warm and it fluttered more than it has ever fluttered before. Aphmau felt weird, a good kind of weird.

"I know that this may be the wrong time but I thought I should let you know before you marry Zane. I just can't keep it from you anymore. I've developed feelings for you over the years, and now I feel like I love you more than ever." said Garroth.

He...he loves me? Aphmau looked into his eyes.

Garroth continued talking. "Please don't let this ruin our friendship, because I liked what we had as friends. If this makes-"

As Garroth was talking Aphmau's emotions got the better of her. She leaned in closer to him. Closer and closer. Until she kissed him. They wrapped there arms around each other.

For those few seconds all of Aphmau's worries disappeared, they completely slipped her mind. All she could think about was Garroth and how much she loved him.

But then there was a knock on the door.