Chapter 22: A Shining Star

Aphmau couldn't sleep. No matter how hard she tried, no matter how long her eyes were closed. Aphmau just couldn't drift to sleep.

It was as if some sort of force was keeping her up. She felt like she was trying for hours, but nothing worked. I'll just go and get some fresh air then. Aphmau thought. To clear my head. With that Aphmau slipped out of bed and put on her normal clothes. She walked to the door and opened it silently, Aphmau tipped toed over to the ladder and climbed down. Once her feet touched the floor Aphmau let go of the ladder. She took light steppes across the wooden floor so it wouldn't creak. Once Aphmau reached the door she opened it, walked through and then closed it as silently as she could.

Aphmau took a deep breath of fresh air. She started to walk around. Aphmau didn't know where she was going, all she did was walk. Aphmau let her feet decide where to go. She heard the soft chirping of the crickets, and felt the warm Summer breeze. Even though it was dark the wind was still warm and welcoming. Although it won't be Summer for long since leaves have started to fall. The seasons are changing. Aphmau thought. Everything is changing.

Her eyes adjusted to the darkness. She looked to the starry night sky. The stars are beautiful. Aphmau thought. Then, one star caught her eye. It was shining brighter than any other star that she has ever seen. She felt a pang in her heart. What Lucinda and Emmalyn said must be true. Aphmau looked around where she was. She was at the tree house, although it wasn't much of a tree house anymore. In fact there wasn't much of a tree either.

"Even the tree house got destroyed." said Aphmau while looking at the fallen tree. "Why wasn't Lucinda's place destroyed though?" She pushed the thought out of her mind.

Aphmau sat down leaning onto the tree. She looked up to the stars, specifically at the brightly shining one. "I miss you Garroth." said Aphmau. "I know that it hasn't even been a week yet but, I really miss you. We've been through so much together, I don't want you to leave me so suddenly. I miss the days when you were always outside my house in the mornings, and you always told me what was going on in Phoenix Drop. When our only problems were the Crazy Cat Lady. I miss your smile, it always made me feel better, in a way. I miss the times when instead of training together, all we did was talk. Now that your gone... I don't know what to do. I feel bad for never telling you that I love you. Ok? I admit it Garroth, I love you." Aphmau started to tear up. "Lillian told me that not even death can separate me and my true love." said Aphmau. "Does this mean I'll see you again?" then she swallowed "Or does this mean your not the one?"

"Do you wish me to be the one?"

Aphmau blinked. She recognized that voice too well. She saw a figure standing in front of her. He looked like he was made up of stars.

"Garroth?" Aphmau asked. She walked closer to him and held up her hand. "Is it really you?"

Garroth touched her held out hand with his hand and smiled. "Yes Lady Aphmau."

Aphmau felt a surges of joy run through her. Her heart started racing. Aphmau thew her arms around Garroth and kissed him. Garroth wrapped his arms around Aphmau. After a couple of seconds they broke apart from the kiss. Aphmau was smiling so much that nothing could make her smile go away.

"Garroth I love you!" said Aphmau.

"I know Lady Aphmau." said Garroth smiling. "I love you too."

"I know." said Aphmau.

They held each others hands while staring into each others eyes.

"I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you in time before... you know." said Aphmau.

"I felt the same way." said Garroth.

"What do you mean?" asked Aphmau.

"At the wedding, when you said "I don't" to Zane. Once you ran out I was going to follow you but some O'kasis guards stopped me from doing so. When I saw you dead... I felt like it was my fault." said Garroth.

"Well when I came down from "Heaven" or something. And I saw that you were dead... I felt like it was my fault for not coming sooner." said Aphmau.

"At least you didn't have to break the news to the whole village." said Garroth.

"Oh my gosh." said Aphmau "You had to do that?"

"They wouldn't believe Zane's letter. So I had to tell them that it was true." said Garroth "Besides seeing you dead, that was one of the worst moments of my life."

"I'm so sorry Garroth." said Aphmau.

"Its ok Lady Aphmau." said Garroth.

Let's change the subject. Aphmau thought. "I like this new look you got going on here." said Aphmau.

"Thank you." said Garroth. "Since time is frozen I'm allowed to show myself to you."

"Time is frozen?" asked Aphmau.

"Indeed." said Garroth.

"So does that mean... I could walk on water without falling?" asked Aphmau.

"I... uh..." said Garroth.

"Come on it'll be fun!" said Aphmau.

"I'm unsure of this Aphmau." Said Garroth.

"I'll be fine." Said Aphmau. She walked over to the water and stepped onto the water. She took another step. She started to walk. Nothing happened to her. "See Garroth? I'm fine."

Garroth stared at her in astonishment. "Wow. I honestly thought that it wouldn't work." He said.

Aphmau started so slide around. Garroth walked close by. Unfortunately Aphmau slipped, but Garroth caught her.

"I think that's enough water sliding for now." Said Garroth.

Aphmau blushed. Then walked away from the water onto land. Aphmau sat down against the tree. So did Garroth.

"If this is a dream I don't want to wake up." Said Aphmau.

"This is not a dream Lady Aphmau" said Garroth.

"How would I know?" Asked Aphmau.

Garroth got up and picked up a rock. He was pushing it agents the tree. Once he was done Aphmau looked. It was carving of A+G surrounded by a heart.

"Awwww!" Said Aphmau.

"If you come by tomorrow and this is here, then you'll know that this is not a dream." Said Garroth.

Aphmau smiled. "Ok." She said.

Garroth sat down beside Aphmau. She leaned her head onto Garroth's shoulder. He put his arm around her.

"I love you Garroth." Said Aphmau.

"I love you too Lady Aphmau." Said Garroth.

Aphmau was so happy that she was able to see Garroth once more. They talked and talked and talked, until Aphmau silently drifted to sleep.