Chapter 33: To Disobey

Aphmau heavily opened her eyes to see that she was back in her cell. Pain surged through her.

How did that just happen? Aphmau thought. Why was I shown my past? To mock me about how my life was perfect until I ran from the wedding? To show that all of this pain, is all my fault? I should've stayed dead. I would've been in heaven, and I would've been happy with Garroth. Aphmau started to tear up. It even hurt to cry. Everything was hurting her. Physically and emotionally. Why did Irene send me back? To save Phoenix Drop? All I've done since I've been here is cause death and disrepair. Pain stung at her heart. Everyone is now against me. I've done nothing to help. I should've said yes to Zane. If I just did what he wanted me to do, none of this would've happened. Perhaps I should do what he tells me to do from now on instead of running like a cowered!

With that thought, all of her physical pain stopped.

If I listen to Zane... the pain stops? Aphmau thought. Oh my gosh. If I listen to Zane my pain will stop. I just do as he tells me to, and I won't hurt anymore. How could I've been so stupid?! If I do as he says I - what am I thinking? Am I insane? Trusting Zane? Ha. That rhymed. Wait what was I thinking?

Suddenly the noise of the door opening snapped her thoughts back to what she previously thought. Oh ya that's right. Listen to Zane. Got it!

Whomever the person was who opened the door didn't turn on the lights. Only the light from the doorway lit up part of the room. Aphmau could barely tell who it was.

"Dante?" Aphmau asked "Look what the Wyverns dragged in."

"Aphmau I-"

"You know, when you became one of my guards." said Aphmau "That meant you had my back, unfortunately "I got your back" really means "I'm gonna stab you in the back in your darkest times". Silly me."

"Aphmau." said Dante "You don't understand."

"Understand what?" Aphmau asked "That I wasn't a good enough Lord to you? That you wanted to be a member of the Jury Of Nine? That you never cared for Phoenix drop? In case you haven't noticed Garroth, Cadenza and Brendon are dead, Laurence is stuck in some sort of dimension (once again), everyone is betraying me, and I'm chained to a wall! What do you think I don't understand in my life right now!?"

"G-Garroth is dead?" Dante asked.

"YES!" said Aphmau "And it was because Brian, Laurence and Brendon's plan to destroy Phoenix Drop!"

"What?!" said Dante.

Aphmau started to cry. "You have no idea what my life is like right now. As of this moment on, I don't care anymore. I don't care what happens to Phoenix Drop, I don't care who betrays me next, I don't care about who dies next, and I don't care about what happens to me. Go tell your precious Lord Zane that I'll do as he says." Her tears blurred her vision. "I don't care anymore." said Aphmau.

"No. You don't understand." said Dante pulling the lever that opened her cell "I'm here to bust you out."

Her cell door swung open.

"You wha?" Aphmau said.

Dante came into her cell, took out a key and unlocked the shackles around her wrists and ankles. He helped Aphmau to her feet.

"Wha?" Aphmau said.

"Come on." said Dante "Katelyn is getting Kiki as we speak."

"Wha?" Aphmau said.

Something about this felt wrong to her. As if she had a change of emotions and thoughts.

"This doesn't feel right." Aphmau said.

"What doesn't feel right?" asked Dante.

"E-escaping." said Aphmau "Leaving this cell, leaving this room."

"Don't worry, we won't get caught." said Dante.

"I'm not worried about that Dante, its just... I don't know." said Aphmau "This feels wrong. To disobey."

Dante's eyes widened. "To disobey who?" he asked nervously.

"To disobey Zane's wishes." said Aphmau "Surely he wouldn't want me to escape without orders."

"No. No no no. Its working." Dante said "Its working. This isn't good. We need to go. Now." Dante grabbed Aphmau's wrist and they ran out the door.

"What are you doing?" Aphmau asked.

Dante replied "Getting you out of here!"