Chapter 24: Secret Room

Aphmau was startled awake by laughter. Not regular laughter, like a "I'm gonna kill you in your sleep" sorta laughter.

Aphmau sat up. "Who's there?" asked Aphmau.

"Wow put on the spot." said the Voice "I didn't know I had to come up with a knock knock joke"

"That's not what I meant." said Aphmau. She scanned the room, but she couldn't see anyone.

"Of course that's not what you meant Lady Aphmau." said the Voice.

Aphmau could at least tell that the voice was feminine.

"How do you know my name?" asked Aphmau.

"I know lots of names." said the Voice. Then she whispered "Lots of names." then she stopped whispering "Including Brendon and Laurence."

"Do you know where they are?" asked Aphmau.

"Yes." said the Voice "Although, their doing something very important in my eyes."

"What are they doing?" asked Aphmau.

"You won't believe me if I told you." said the Voice.

"Of course I will." stated Aphmau.

"Not if I told you who I am." said the Voice.

"Who are you?" asked Aphmau.

"Look, we'll have introductions later." said the Voice "Now, unless you want Cadenza dead, you'll follow my voice."

"Just let me grab a few things." said Aphmau. I don't know where she's taking me so I need to be prepared. Aphmau picked up a dagger from her drawer and put it in her pocket, she sheathed her diamond sword and strapped her pickax to her belt. "Ok I'm ready."

Aphmau followed the voice outside until they reached the old Lord's house. She went down into the "secret room". Why does everything happen at night?

"Move the chest." said the Voice.

Aphmau moved the chest and saw a ladder going down. There's a "secret room" in the "secret room"? Mind blown.

"Go down it and you'll have your answer." said the Voice.

"Thanks." said Aphmau. She started to climb down.

"Your welcome." said the voice. "But you won't be thankful for long."

Wait what? The chest moved back. No no no no no. Aphmau climbed back up banging her fist agents the chest. It didn't work. She tried to slide the chest over but it didn't budge. Ok that's the last time I listen to a creepy voice to follow them in the middle of the night. Aphmau thought. I guess there's only one way to go.

Aphmau climbed down the ladder. She was in a big open room. Aphmau saw some shadow knights (because of their unmistakable red armor) and hid behind some chests. She peaked over and saw a Nether portal frame and a flame haired girl strapped to a sacrifice looking thing. Cadenza! Aphmau looked over to the shadow knights, as soon as she saw their faces her face went pail, and froze in fear. BRENDON AND LAURENCE!!?? Since when is Brendon a shadow knight? Since when did Laurence let himself embrace his shadow knight side? I thought he overcame the darkness! Just then Cadenza talked.

"Why are you doing this?" Cadenza asked.

"Because we want the portal to open so all the other shadow knights can come to our world." replied Brendon.

"But WHY?" asked Cadenza. "Laurence, you didn't surrender to this darkness before, why now?"

"Why I chose this path is none of your business Cadenza." replied Laurence.

"Well considering that you're about to kill me begs to differ." said Cadenza.

"Then continue to beg because I'm not telling." said Laurence.

"Laurence, you're like my brother." said Cadenza "Are you really going to kill me?"

"I'm not going to kill you Cadenza." said Laurence "Brendon is."

"Aphmau will have your heads for this!" said Cadenza

"Aphmau's dead. Remember?" said Laurence "There's nothing she can do to save you."

"Brendon, are you really going to kill me?" asked Cadenza.

"You fit the description of who we need in order to sacrifice to open the portal." said Brendon. "And Zane assigned us to do so. To answer your question, yes I'm going to kill you."

"I'm getting a call from the communication necklace." said Laurence "Zane's probably wondering whats taking so long. I suggest you get the job done before I return. As for you Cadenza, keep your screaming quiet." then Laurence left the room.

"Brendon, please don't kill me." pleaded Cadenza.

"Don't worry Cadenza." said Brendon while sharpening his blade. "You're a good girl. You'll go to heaven."

"Will this hurt?" asked Cadenza.

"Yes." replied Brendon. He put his one hand over Cadenza's eyes. "Now please hold still."

Aphmau saw him raise his sword.

"NO!" yelled Aphmau while she got up from hiding pulled out her dagger from her pocket and threw it at Brendon.

It hit him square in the head. Then he fell over.

Oh my gosh! I killed Brendon! Kiki's going to kill me, if Laurence doesn't do it first! Aphmau thought.

"Aph...mau..." said Cadenza. She was impaled with Brendon's sword. Her crimson blood was staining her green and white dress. The wound was really bad. A single tear rolled of her face. Aphmau ran over to Cadenza.

Cadenza had trouble breathing. "The... port...al" she said.

"Forget the portal I need to get you to the doctor!" said Aphmau.

"It's... too... far...away..." Cadenza said.

"No no no! You'll be fine! Don't worry!" said Aphmau. She cut away the straps that bounded Cadenza's arms and legs. "This might hurt." Aphmau pulled the sword out of Cadenza.

"AAAHH!" Cadenza screamed in pain.

"I'm sorry." said Aphmau. "I'll get you out of here!"

"Aph...mau..." said Cadenza. "You're...a great... friend..."

"You are too Cadenza." said Aphmau.

"I'll... miss... you... Aphmau..." said Cadenza.

"No Cadenza!" said Aphmau with tears in her eyes. "Don't die on me!"

"Lead... Phoenix... Drop... well..." said Cadenza. "Lady... Aphmau." Cadenza's eyes looked away from Aphmau over to the distance. She took her final breath.

"CADENZA NO!" cried Aphmau. "Don't leave me!" She fell to her knees beside Cadenza. Aphmau held her hand and started to cry. "Cadenza." she whispered. Tears streamed down her face. "No." Aphmau cried some more.

"Well well well. Isn't this touching." said Laurence