Chapter 31: Why Me?

Aphmau awoke with a freezing chill against her skin. Everything was dark, she couldn't see a thing. All Aphmau could remember was pain. A pain almost like the one that killed her. A feeling of fire boiling in her veins burning her from the inside.

Huh? Why am I so weak? Aphmau thought. Where am I? What happened? She was about to get up, but the shackles on her hands and feet made her fall to the stone cold floor. What? Why am I chained up? Aphmau felt dizzy, dehydrated and hungry. Ugh! My head hurts so much. Why do I remember so much pain? The last thing I remember was some sort of magic coming from my hands, then I blacked out. Now I remember pain, but no memories to go with it. What's wrong with me?

"Hello?" Aphmau called into the darkness.

There was no answer. She heard voices on the other side of the wall.

"Look Zane I'm sorry! I messed up. I didn't know that Brian would just full on attack Laurence like that."

Is that Lillian? Aphmau thought. She put her ear to the wall.

"I messed up! This could be my punishment!"said Lillian.

"No, that would be a way to redeem your yourself before you die." said Zane "I have no room for people that make mistakes to be part of my plan."

"Zane I-"

Then Aphmau heard one of the loudest screams that she has ever heard. Aphmau cringed. Did Zane just kill her?

"That Lady's and gentlemen is why you don't mess with my plans." said Zane "Are we clear?"

Aphmau heard mutters of agreement on the other side of the wall.

"Now, follow me." said Zane.

Don't come in wherever I am. Please. Aphmau pleaded in her head. Suddenly Aphmau saw a flash of light coming from far away. It was a door. Unfortunately, Zane and nine others walked through. He turned on the lights. As her eyes adjusted to the light, Aphmau could see that she was in some sort of jail cell. Why me? She sat up straight. As everyone came closer to her cell, Aphmau was able to locate two familiar faces. Katelyn and Dante!? That's right. Dante joined the jury of nine when I was dead. Wait. Why did Dante join the jury if nine anyway? As for Katelyn Aphmau was unsure. She didn't know much of her. All Aphmau knew was that Katelyn stayed in Phoenix Drop for a while waiting to be allowed into Bright Port. After that, all this drama happened.

"As you see here, we have Lord Aphmau of Phoenix Drop." said Zane gesturing to her.

"Zane. I should've known you were behind this." said Aphmau "Where am I? Where's Kiki and Leona? Why am I here? Why am I-"

"Hush Aphmau." Zane interrupted.

Aphmau was silent.

"How is she here?" asked Dante "You told us she died."

"Dante!" Aphmau called "I did die, but Irene gave me another chance! A chance to save Phoenix Drop! Listen, I need you to help me!"

"Look where help has gotten you." Zane spat.

"What's going on Dante?" Aphmau asked. She tried to get closer but her shackles held her back.

"Dante. I know Aphmau was your previous Lord but you are a jury of nine member now, and your loyalties lie with us." said Zane.

"Dante!" Aphmau said "Don't listen to him!"

"My loyalties lie with you Zane. Why would you even question it?" said Dante.

"I knew I picked the right person to become a member." said Zane.

"No! Dante he's tricking you!" said Aphmau "Don't trust him!"

"And whom do you think he should trust? Yourself Lady Aphmau?" Zane laughed.

"Dante. I don't know what's going on, but I know that it is nothing good." said Aphmau. "Prove to me that there is good in you and help me."

"Help you to do what?" asked Dante "To escape? To do that would be suicide Aphmau. Although you do have racked up quite the death count back in Phoenix Drop. Haven't you?"

W-what? Is Dante turning on me? Aphmau thought.

"She's just desperate to find trust." said Katelyn "After all people keep dyeing on her and keep revealing to not be on her side. She's so desperate to find a small ray of sunshine in the darkest night."

"What does that mean?" asked Aphmau.

"It means that you have passed stage two." said Zane. He nodded towards Dante.

Dante pulled a lever that opened the iron door that was part of Aphmau's cell.

Zane stepped into Aphmau's cell. "It's time for stage three." said Zane as he pulled out a needle and walked closer to her.

Aphmau tried to push Zane away from her but it was no use. Aphmau was too weak to stop him. Aphmau got injected with the serum.

"Don't worry Aphmau." Zane whispers to her "You'll cooperate with us once this is over." Zane got up and left Aphmau's cell. He switched the lever and the door closed.

Everyone started to leave but before they could make it out the door Aphmau yelled "Dante you cowered!"

Left alone in the darkness Aphmau's head started so spin, her eyes started to blur and her skin felt like it was boiling. Why do I always get knocked out? Aphmau thought as she lay down, closed her eyes and slowly and painfully went unconscious.