Chapter 36: Communication Amulet

Dante helped Aphmau to her feet, then shook her by the shoulders frantically.

"Zane!" said Dante "What do you mean Zane! He's coming? Right now? Why didn't you tell us this? Has he been tracking us this whole time? Answer me!"

Katelyn grabbed Dante's arms and pulled them away from Aphmau. Then she slapped him.

"Ow!" said Dante.

"Stop acting paranoid Dante!" said Katelyn "For all we know, Aphmau could be tricking us into thinking that Zane will find us."

"I'm not tricking you." said Aphmau "I can sense it."

"Oh you can sense it can you?" said Katelyn "How?"

"I don't know I just can." replied Aphmau.

"Well that solves everything now doesn't it?" said Katelyn.

"I think we should get moving." said Dante "Irene knows how he is going to find us."

Katelyn glanced at Aphmau then froze. "That necklace." said Katelyn pointing to Aphmau's communication amulet. "That's how he knows. Zane must have put it on her, and is using it to track us somehow." Katelyn ripped the amulet off of Aphmau's neck.

"NO!" said Aphmau. For once, Aphmau could feel her emotions again. They rushed back to her like a wave crashing onto the shore. Before she knew it Aphmau was charging towards Katelyn "Give it back!" She tacked Katelyn to the ground.

Before Aphmau could rip the communication amulet from Katelyn's hands, Katelyn threw it over to Dante. "Destroy it!" she said.

Dante was about to smash it on the ground until Aphmau got up and spoke.

"No! Don't! Please!" begged Aphmau. "Zane never gave that to me. Garroth did!"

Dante froze.

Aphmau walked closer to Dante, but was so overwhelmed with her emotions she fell to her knees. "Garroth is dead, and that is one of the only things that I have left of him!" she said choking back tears.

Dante looked uneasily towards Kiki and Katelyn.

"How do we know that you aren't acting?" asked Katelyn.

"Are you kidding me? Of course she isn't acting! When she found out that Garroth was dead, Aphmau became an emotional wreck! Like she is right now." said Kiki "When she was injected with this "serum" she became a stubborn, annoying, (partly evil), emotionless drone! Whatever happened to her, this current situation has overcame that "serum" stuff."

"Why would her connection with-" Katelyn stopped mid sentence "Oh. My. Irene."

"What is it?" asked Dante.

Katelyn turned toward Aphmau and stepped in between Aphmau and Dante.

Aphmau flinched.

Katelyn keeled down to where she could look at Aphmau in the eye. "You love Garroth. Don't you?" she said.

"Of course I do." said Aphmau "And since Garroth is dead I don't have much left of him."

Aphmau saw a glimmer of sadness in Katelyn's eyes.

"I know how you feel." said Katelyn. She got up off her knees. "Give it back to her Dante. I think this whole "mind control" fiasco is over."

Dante helped Aphmau onto her feet and gave the communication amulet back to her.

Aphmau hugged Dante. "Thank you." she said.

Dante pulled away from the hug. "Your welcome." he said.

"Sooooooooo." said Kiki "Now that we have this all sorted out, what are we going to do about Zane?"