Chapter 5

Description of Beowulf's eyes! Aren't they gorgeous?

**Ridge**

Annie Jo bounces in her car seat in the back of my truck, her neon green tutu practically smothering her from how poufy it is. I smile to myself as I drive down the road to the local Walmart.

My mom gave me a list of things to get, just a few items really, and told me to take Annie Jo with me. Now don't get me wrong, I love my little five year old sister, I just don't like how happy and hyper she gets when we go out.

"Ridge, can I not sit in a cart?" Annie Jo asks as I park my truck in a parking spot.

I raise my eyebrow and look at her in the review mirror. "And why not?" Probably so she can run around easier and reach things off the shelves.

She plays with her tutu. "People need to see my skirt," She says simply.

I chuckle to myself. "Jojo, that's a tutu. A skirt isn't that frilly and poufy. Besides, a skirt covers your arse better." I can't use swear words with Annie Jo so I use the British slang word for ass instead.

"A tutu," She whispers to herself. "Well people need to see my tutu,"

I laugh as I get out. She is only five yet she needs people to see her and pay attention. I open the back door and take her out of her seat. I have to clutch her little hand as I place her on her feet.

"What do you do in a parking lot Jojo?" I ask her as she struggles to pull her hand free.

She sighs loudly and stops struggling. "Hold someone's hand and look both ways," Her childish voice says in a mocking way.

"Good girl, now hold my hand," I say and start to walk.

"But Ridge," It sounds like she says Widge. "I'm a big girl now, I can walk by myself," She brushes a blond curl from her face.

"You are a big girl, Jojo, but I need you to hold my hand,"

She grumbles to herself until her face lights up. "Ridge, do you need someone to hold your hand?"

I smile down at her and nod my head yes. "More specifically yours, Jojo,"

"What does specifically mean, Ridge," I swear she loves to say my name on purpose.

"It means you in particular. I need you and no one else to hold my hand," I say as we walk through the automatic sliding doors.

The little five year old lights up with a huge grin on her adorable little face. "Really?"

"Really," I say as we start to walk.

Annie Jo is quiet as we walk, which is odd since she is always loud and obnoxious. I shake my head and turn into an aisle. Mom wants Briskets so I go to look for them as I let Annie Jo's hand go. Hopefully she can stay out of trouble and not knock anybody over in the span of five minutes... hopefully.

"Stay by me, Jojo," I say sternly as I pick up a box to read the labeling.

I can hear Annie Jo dancing and singing to herself as I read the box. I'm not even sure this is what my mom wants.

I am about to put the box back when my inner wolf starts to purr and claw at me to be let out. A scent reaches my nostrils that makes my toes curl inside my shoes. The scent of life, mint, and cinnamon sticks all mixed together. I am drawn to the smell. I put the box back on the shelf and turn to see someone reaching on their toes to get a jar of peanut butter. He has his hood on but I can tell it's a guy by the figure of his body. A very fit body by the way the clothing clings to him.