Chapter 45

**Ridge**

"Beowulf," I laugh out loud. "Where are you taking me?"

Beowulf picked me up at nine o'clock sharp and has been driving me around the city for about an hour now. Currently we sit in a traffic jam that has Beowulf cursing like a sailor. He got his truck back, or as he likes to call it 'his baby', but I'm not sure if getting it back was such a good idea when he has such bad road rage.

"It's a surprise, now if only this traffic would fucking move already," He curses as the truck inches forward slowly. "Dammit people!" He growls out.

I smile and place my hand over his right one as his fingers drum on the steering wheel. He allows me to take his hand so I squeeze it in mine before lacing our fingers together.

"Remind me to drive from now on," I chuckle.

"Why?" He asks as the truck inches forward again.

"Because, baby, you have terrible road rage,"

"I do not," He argues.

"Yes you do,"

"How do I have road rage?" He asks as he glares out the windshield.

I chuckle again as I run my thumb over his own thumb with our fingers still laced together.

"Baby, trust me on this one, you have road rage,"

"I do not," He mumbles to himself.

"Your cursing out every single car, baby, just relax since it looks like we're gonna be stuck in here for a while, no need to stress,"

"I have to stress though, I had plans for your birthday and I can't do that stuck in traffic,"

"Beowulf," I chuckle and bring our conjoined hands up to my lips to give his hand a kiss. "As long as I'm with you my birthday will be perfect, I don't really mind spending it in a traffic jam with you,"

My handsome mate grumbles under his breath again as the truck inches forward. "I'm on a time schedule, Newbie, that's all. If we get to one place we have so long until they close. Then we will go to another place and we can't really be late for that time slot because I had to pull strings to get us in since they usually don't allow people there. We have to be prompt there in order for us to do something because the same thing happens every night at the same time and I really want you to see it because it is actually really beautiful. Then after that we don't really have a time so that will be when I stop stressing. But let's be real here and face it, I'm going to be stressing all night long hoping you have the best birthday ever,"

"Beowulf," I say. "I already told you-,"

He cuts me off by squeezing my hand and talking over me. "No, just because you're with me does not make it automatically great. I am determined to make this the best birthday yet."

I shake my head as I realize there is no getting through to him. Beowulf is a stubborn guy, I already discovered this about him, so I'll just let him have this one. Beowulf doesn't know though just how special today is just because he's spending it with me, and let's not forget that he has the whole day planned out for us. He makes me happy and I wouldn't ask for anyone else. I wouldn't ask him to change for anything.

Anything that Beowulf has planned for us I'm sure I will love, no matter how clichéd that sounds or how clichéd today might be. I don't expect him to take us to some horrible place that murders baby animals, or even a smelly bar. I trust Beowulf to take us someplace fun and exciting. But to be honest, I could spend my eighteenth birthday in a traffic jam with Beowulf and it would still be great, because Beowulf is with me.