Chapter 44

**Beowulf**

"Remind me again why you are having a princess birthday," I laugh along with Niles.

Newbie has a big goofy grin on his face as he repositions the pointy pink and sparkly hat that says 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY' on it, there are even six pieces of long pink ribbon coming out of the top point of the hat tied into a bow on each end. He looks absolutely ridiculous but I also find it adorable.

Newbie's hat matches the decorations that clutter the mansion. Pink and sparkles seem to be the only think you can see. Sparkly decorations hang from the ceilings in every room on the main floor, giant pink bows are stuck on the walls as well as the staircase railing, pink and purple balloons float around the room on strings as well as on the floor. There are two giant banners in the den that say 'HAPPY SIXTH BIRTHDAY Annie Jo' and 'HAPPY EIGHTEENTH BIRTHDAY Ridge'. I think the whole place looks really cute even though it looks like someone ate too much cotton candy and threw up all over the place.

"Because I promised the real birthday girl that we could combine our parties since we're only three days apart," Newbie says, the goofy grin never leaving his handsome face.

"Awe, look who's all wrapped around a little girl's finger," Niles coos. He nudges me in the shoulder with a goofy grin on his face to match Newbie's. "You better watch out, Wulf, a six year old might take your man,"

"No," I gasp out dramatically. "Where is the little bugger?" I ask as I look around the room to try and find Annie Jo. "I better have a word with her," I mutter as I spot her trying to sneak one of her brightly wrapped presents that sit all stacked up on a table in the den.

I sneak over to her quietly without her noticing and take my chance by grabbing her around the waist and lifting her in the air above my head.

"Ahhh!" She squeals and giggles.

"Weren't you supposed to wait until after cake to open these, beautiful?"

"Put me down, Wulf!" She squeals as Niles and Newbie make their way over to us, laughing all the way. "Wulf, okay, I won't try anymore!" She giggles as her little arms and legs flail around in the air above my head. "Ridge! Ridge! Help me!" Her little voice still pronounces our names 'Woof' and 'Widge'.

"What's wrong, Jojo?" Newbie asks as he makes it to us.

"Wulf picked me up and won't let me down!" She giggles.

"I don't see a problem," He looks at Niles. "Do you see a problem?"

Niles shakes his head. "Not a single one,"

"Help! Help!" She cries out.

"What seems to be the problem here, pretty little lady?" I turn my head to see Milo smiling up at Annie Jo.

"Help! Milo, Wulf won't let me down!" She pronounces his name 'Miwo'.

"I'll protect you, little lady," Milo says as he reaches up for her. Milo only reaches my chest so I slowly lift her down just enough for him to snatch her from me. "I got you!" He cries out enthusiastically before setting her down on a couch just to tickle her.

"Ahhh! No, Milo, you're just as bad as Wulf!" She screams as she tries to get away from his tickling.

Newbie laughs as he hugs me from behind, resting his chin on my shoulder. I can't seem to thank Newbie enough for taking care of me last week when I was hungover with a fever. I had to spend three days in his bed with him taking care of me. Niles was there twice when I woke up but I couldn't keep consciousness long enough to hold a conversation, just a few words here and there.