Chapter 14

**Ridge**

I have a bad feeling. At first I thought it was a bad dream that I couldn't remember, but then I got to homeroom. My wolf was agitated and wanted to see Beowulf pronto, and we needed reassurance that he was okay.

But when I saw Beowulf sitting there next to his blond headed friend, Niles, I knew something was wrong. I could smell the faint smell of blood on Beowulf, which raised my hackles.

Beowulf looks extremely pale as he sits in his seat. His hands splayed on the table when I saw dried blood under his nails, something a normal human like Niles would miss. His eyes were already bruised from last week, but they had already turned yellow and started fading, now both were black and blue again.

But his black eyes were not what made my heart sink in my chest and my breathing to come to a halt. The angry red gash on his face is what causes me to go deathly still. The cut is definitely fresh, it hadn't even had time to scab over yet. It has to be only a few hours old. The length of the cut also startles me. It runs from the corner of his nose, up to his cheek bone barely missing his eye, and half way to his ear. It is a sloppy cut but it did damage to his handsome face.

It did damage to my heart seeing that Beowulf is in pain from it.

My wolf growls inside my head as we stare at him. He still looks deathly pale, like he had had a rough ass night. A sleepless night. No doubt he had a rough night. How the fuck did he get that cut on his face?

My wolf is still agitated though, and a gut wrenching feeling tells me that the cut on his handsome face and two black eyes is not all that happened to him last night.

"Beowulf," I breathe out as I slide in the seat next to him.

Beowulf ignores me, just as he ignores Niles and his pestering about what happened to his face. I can tell Beowulf does not want to talk about it but I can't help it. My wolf is going crazy as we come up with scenarios of how he got hurt.

Maybe he got mugged? Maybe he was cornered by a gang? Maybe it was an accident while washing the dinner dishes? Maybe someone deliberately tried to hurt him?

Beowulf hisses in pain as he tries to block the light punch Niles gives him to the shoulder. His hands fly to his side as he clutches at his shirt. Niles misses the whole thing, only to continue on with his bombarding questions. I guess Niles would have better luck getting information out of Beowulf than me since we barely know each other.

My eyes lock on his hands clutching his side. He is hiding something under his shirt. Something possibly worse than what happened to his face. He grunts and we make eye contact. He bites his lower lip, in any other normal circumstance that gesture would have been very arousing, only right now is not the time to be aroused. I feel my eyebrows crease together on their own as I stare into his hypnotizing green eyes.

"I'm fine," He hisses out, obviously in pain. "I hit my head on a mirror and it shattered," Niles seemed a bit skeptical at first but he eventually took it. Beowulf has no reason to lie to him, right?

Only I saw right through the lie like it was a window. Beowulf most definitely did not shatter a mirror and cut his face by hitting his head on it. So what really did happen to him?

****555****

All throughout the day I followed Beowulf with a worried expression on my face. Thankfully our afternoon classes are all the same. Which is why I made it to where I was sitting next to, or near, Beowulf in every one of them. I know Beowulf is getting irritated by me, but I can't help it. My mate is hurt, he lied about how he got hurt, and I can tell he is exhausted.

Beowulf even sat out in gym class, which Niles said was weird since Beowulf loves gym. But what really got to me was when he told Matthew, the other Boxing kid, that he was going to go straight home. I may not have known Beowulf that long, but even I know that Beowulf doesn't just skip training.

"Dude, are you listening to anything?" James asks me. I snap my attention back to the table with three War Wolves, myself, and James, as we discuss our borders.

"Yeah, yeah, sorry. What were you saying?" I ask as I bite my cheek.

James sighs loudly. "Your right, it's late, we should resume this tomorrow."

"No, no, James, we can continue, I'm back on board." I reassure him. Only I'm not back on board. My mind is already going back to Beowulf and how odd he was acting today.

James stares at me before mind linking me. "What's up, Ridge? Did something happen with you and your mate?"

I bite my cheek harder before mind linking James back. "Yes,"

"Anything I can do to help?"

I shrug my shoulders. "Find out who the fuck keeps touching him."

James's blue eyes start to darken. "Someone touched him again?"

I sadly shrug my shoulders. "He was acting strange today, and he has a fresh wound on his face, along with something he's hiding under his shirt."

"We'll find out who did it, Ridge," James growls inside my head, I can feel the presence of his own wolf as their protective Alpha starts to come out.

"And then I'm going to kill them," I growl inside my head.

"Meeting dismissed," James growls. "Ridge, stay here," The three War Wolves silently leave James's office as I stay seated.

James stares at me for the longest time before standing up to look out the window behind his desk. His hands are clasped behind his back, his posture tight.

"Ridge, have you asked him?"

"Of course I have asked him, James." I have to force myself not to growl. "But he's not comfortable enough with me still. He even lied to his best friend."

James is silent as he continues to stare out the dark window. It is well into the night already, probably around midnight by now.

"What about that kid who attacked him last week? The one who you say Beowulf didn't put up a fight against."

I cock my head to the side. I didn't even think about that guy. I never got the chance to ask Beowulf about him either. What was his name? B something?

"I don't know. I forgot about him until now."

James sighs before turning around to look at me. "Find out his name and you can check into him. Then you can ask Beowulf who he is, and why he lets him attack him without a fight." I watch as James bites his lip. "I don't know, Ridge, but I have a bad feeling about this kid."

I growl at that. When the Alpha says he has a bad feeling you go along with it. "Right," I say and stand up from my seat. "I'll find out his name tomorrow."

"Ridge," James stops me as I go to leave. "Good luck, I hope you stop the prick who is harming your mate." I respectfully nod my head before leaving his office.