Chapter 13

**Author's Note: I actually own the same exact set of Paula Dean knifes. :D**

**Beowulf**

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what happened at lunch today. People don't just argue with Jonah like Newbie did. No doubt Newbie and Jonah know each other somehow, any idiot could figure that one out from the way they talked to each other. No person in their right mind would have the galls to talk back to Jonah like Newbie had.

Jonah Kueffler has an air to him that says 'don't fucking mess with me, I can rip you to pieces without batting an eye.' It's not that he's a terrible guy, people just sense that he is trouble if messed with so they stay away from him. I've never seen, or heard rumors, of Jonah picking on or beating up defenseless kids before, so it's not like he's a bully. He just has this scary aura to him that says 'back the fuck off.'

His best friend Abram has an even more intimidating aura. I never want to get caught in the crossfires of Abram. I've seen what he can do, or at least seen the brunt of it. For some reason I have a feeling that the one time I saw Abram going at it with one of his friends it was not half as bad as it would be if they were in private. The school parking lot was obviously not the place for them to fight.

Not only did Abram seriously do damage to the kid, but he somehow managed to damage some poor random car that happened to be parked in the wrong place at the wrong time. Abram cleaned up his mess right away though once he realized what he'd done. I don't know where he got the money, but he was able to give the owner $30,000 to replace the beat up car. That car wasn't even close to being worth that much even in pristine condition, but Abram insisted that the owner deserved a better ride than the old junk car being previously driven.

Newbie not only knew Jonah, but he also knew and mentioned Abram like he couldn't possibly be a threat to him. Newbie and Jonah are pretty much the same size, save for Newbie having more defined muscles, but Abram is at least a good head taller than him. Yet Newbie seemed unfazed when he showed up, perhaps he even looked amused when Abram shouted at Jonah from across the lunchroom.

I could not follow the conversation they had at all, most likely nobody could, save for the four other friends of Abram and Jonah who snickered at the whole thing, and obviously they knew what the hell was going on. No one seemed to want to let anyone in on the conversation either, so everyone was left in the dark, utterly confused, yet fascinated that the new kid was standing up to the two most feared kids in our school.

The only thing I really picked up on was when Jonah complained about Newbie showing off his status by playing with his necklace. Which led me to believe that Newbie and the others are in some kind of gang. A gang that shows status by jewelry is new to me, I always imagined tattoos would signify status. But then again I've never been in a gang so what do I know?

Being in a gang would explain the weird names they were using though. What did Jonah call Newbie? Shadow something, something Shadow? And then Newbie called Jonah Dark something. What was that about? All I can think of is their gang names. Then Abram mentioned being a captain and having a second man, what the hell? It all screams gang to me.

The whole thing gives me a raging headache. I tried to concentrate on my Chemistry homework but I couldn't, why? Because everything I did my mind would go back to Newbie. My Chemistry reminds me of class today. The way Newbie was openly disappointed in finding out we wouldn't be lab partners or sitting next to each other.

Instead he got partnered with one of the school's nerds, which he seemed to be getting along with just fine. I didn't know her name until Newbie introduced us. I know I was acting like a jerk when he introduced us, but for some reason I was jealous that he made another friend. Why the fuck was I jealous over something like that? The sooner he finds other friends the sooner he can leave me the fuck alone. I still can't shake the feeling that I might feel something for him.