Chapter 21

**Beowulf**

"Come on, man," Niles whines next to me at the lunch table. "You can even drive yourself if you get bored."

I huff as I roll my orange around the table with the palm of my hand. "Niles, I have training tonight,"

"That's okay, the party doesn't start until like eight," He says. Niles has been trying to convince me to go to some stupid party all day.

"Niles, I really don't want to," I tell him honestly.

"Come on, man, it's just not a party without my best man there," He whines before looking at Newbie who sits across from us both. "You'll come, right?"

I watch Newbie as he shrugs his shoulders. "I've got nothing better to do,"

"Yes!" Niles cheers and pumps his fist in the air before turning back to me. "Please will you come now?"

"Just because Newbie is going doesn't automatically make me change my mind, Niles," I grumble. What help Newbie was, now Niles will pester me even more.

"Then we'll just have a fun drunken night without you," Newbie says with a smirk.

"I don't drink anyway," I say back with my own smirk.

"Come on, Beowulf, it'll be fun," Newbie says. I don't know why I allow him to call me that, I won't even let Niles call me Beowulf. "Maybe I'll just ask Kaylene,"

"You wouldn't," I growl. I actually like how close Newbie and my mom have gotten. My mom even seems to actually really like Newbie as she talks about him all the time. Sometimes I wonder if she were still a teenager she would be hitting on Newbie. I shiver at the gross idea and shake my head.

"I would. Maybe I'll even show up after school," Newbie continues.

"Please don't." I grumble. "I won't even be there after school." I say matter-of-factly.

"So, hasn't stopped me from stopping by before," Newbie chuckles. "If you haven't realized yet, your mom is pretty cool to hang out with whether you admit it or not."

"I'm not admitting anything," I hiss.

"Then come with us tonight," Niles says as he nudges my shoulder with his own. Niles hasn't really accepted that my mom likes Newbie better than him yet.

"I don't want to go," I repeat.

"Don't make me force you," Niles threatens. "I'll get your mom in on this."

"Pretty sure my mom would rather I stay home than go to a teenage party filled with illegally obtained alcohol."

"You don't even drink the stuff," Niles exclaims as he hits the table with both hands. "Besides, you're the man to make sure I get home safely, because we both know I will be drinking until I can't see straight,"

"Happens every time," I mutter more to myself.

"Exactly. And we both know that I need your help after a night of drinking. And I need you to make sure I have condoms and don't drive. What would you think if you let me get some poor girl pregnant or get in a drunken car accident?"

I groan loudly before glaring at him. "I hate you," I lie. "I hate when you guilt me like that."

Niles smiles ear to ear. "Perfect. The party starts at eight, you can only be late by half an hour or else I'm coming to get you myself."

*****555*****

I managed to park my truck pretty close to the party surprisingly. Niles called me about ten times already just to make sure I actually show up. He even threatened to send Newbie to pick me up, but I had to drive myself just in case I need to leave early.