Chapter 39

**Beowulf**

After five cups of hot cocoa imported straight out of Germany mom and Lydia called everyone in for dinner, unfortunately that included Braider as well.

I sit down at the table with Annie Jo on my right, since she complained that she wanted to sit by me, and Newbie on my left. Niles and Braider both sit across from me with all four parents on either end of the table. Mom and Lydia really outdid themselves with dinner.

"Who's going to eat all this?" Niles jokes as he eyes the mashed potatoes and already cut ham.

"Niles, you could eat this whole table and still complain that you're hungry," My mom says as she helps pile food onto Annie Jo's plate.

"True," Niles agrees with a head nod. "So what did you cook for everybody else?"

"Niles, you're not going to eat all this, trust me," My mom laughs.

"Watch me, Kay, I could," Niles threatens as he piles food high onto his plate.

"You're such a pig," Braider says disgusted.

Niles turns in his seat and ends up pointing a very big and dangerous ham fork at him. "Did anybody ask you to speak? No? Then why are you talking?"

"I wouldn't talk to you if you were the last human on earth," Braider glares back at him.

"Then why are you talking to me now?" Niles counters as he waves the fork in his face.

"You're an idiot, I wasn't talking to you,"

"Yes you were,"

"No, I wasn't," Braider growls. "I don't talk to idiots,"

"Takes on to know one," Niles says with a shrug.

"Boys, that is enough," My dad scolds them as I glare at Braider for even existing.

"He started it, Sam, I just wanted to enjoy your wife's awesome cooking,"

"Niles, you're older than him, so be the more mature one and end it,"

"Ha, hear that, Brady, I'm older than you and more mature," Niles grins.

"Shut up." Braider says angrily.

"That is enough. Niles, no more," My dad hisses.

I chuckle and smile across the table at Niles who smiles back at me. Niles knows I hate Braider with everything in me, and he's awesome enough to not take any of Braider's comments to heart. 

I bite into a small piece of ham and just enjoy the conversations going on around me without actually partaking in any of them. Twice Newbie squeezed my knee and would smile at me which would only make me smile back. I know he is trying to get me to calm down since my heart is beating a million miles a minute and my hands are all sweaty. Dinner is almost done and I know I have to tell my dad while Newbie is here or else I will probably chicken out and not do it.

"Beo, honey, will you help me in the kitchen?" My mom's voice snaps me out of my thoughts as I realize everyone is watching me stab my mashed potatoes.

"Uhm, yeah, sure," I say as I stand up. I grab my plate and head into the kitchen with my mom.

"Honey, what's wrong?" My mom asks as she takes my plate to rinse it off and load it into the dishwasher.

"Nothing," I reply as I look at all the baked goods she and Lydia baked today. I still can't believe she baked pumpkin bread without me this year.

"Then what did your potatoes do to you?" She asks.

"What?" I ask confused.

"Beo, you were stabbing your potatoes like there was a spider in them or something,"