Chapter 9

**Ridge**

"How's he holding up?" James asks once I enter the dining hall. He walks next to me as we make our way to our normal seats at the head of the table.

The room is filled with the quiet buzz of everyone else chatting away with each other. The dining hall is my fourth favorite room in the whole pack house, the first being the kitchen. The kitchen actually has the food and is where all the magic happens so it is automatically my favorite place. The dining hall is where the food gets served to us, but if it's not during a meal then there is no food there, which makes me prefer other places in the house.

My second favorite place would have to be the training room. I love to train and workout, which I do on a daily basis, and we have all the equipment I could ever imagine to need in there, including a swimming pool. My third favorite place would be my own bedroom, the place with all my belongings and my place of privacy. I can go to my room if I need alone time and just need to think.

I shrug my shoulders. "He's gettin' there, slowly," I say as we sit down. "The swelling has gone down abundantly."

The long table that is meant to fit a good fifty of so people is filled with platters of food and pitchers of various drinks.

"That's good," James says as he picks up a ham and cheese sandwich from the platter in front of us. "So I take it he has no idea about us?" He glances at me sitting next to him before going back to his lunch.

"Not a chance," I almost growl. "We haven't had much time alone. I mean, we did only meet three days ago, and really, yesterday he was to swollen to talk properly."

"Four," James says.

"Excuse me?" I ask confused as I pick up my glass of water.

"Four. You met four days ago."

"The store doesn't count," I say as I sip my water.

"Yes it does, you may not have had a real conversation, but you technically met four days ago."

"Ugh," I groan, causing him to laugh. "Can we just skip to the part where he knows about us and accepts me?"

"What's the fun in that?" James laughs.

"I don't have to deal with the awkward looks. I don't have to think about what I say before I speak. Then he'd understand why he's attracted to me."

"He told you he's attracted to you?" James asks as he eyes his sandwich like he would prey while on a hunting trip.

"No," I say with a sigh. "But the look in his eye tells me all I need to know. He's homophobic though, which sucks ass."

"Man," James says.

"Yeah," I growl this time. "Can he not be homophobic at least?"

"Hey, it could be worse,"

I eye him but decide I don't want to know what could be worse than my already homophobic mate. I grab a ham and cheese sandwich and chomp down into it.

*****555*****

"Your looking better already," I say as I walk to the bed that Beowulf sits up in, his back against the wall.

Beowulf says nothing but instead grunts. The swelling in his face has practically vanished, his left eye is still bruised though, along with some bruising on his jaw. He can move better now so that's good, and he's already eaten today, which is also good.

"So," I say with a smile. "The doctor tells me you're in perfect condition," I mock the doctor's voice. "He also tells me that you're not blind and nothing seems to be damaged,"