Chapter 71 - Chicken and Rice

WARNING! SLIGHTLY SEXUAL CONTENT IN THIS CHAPTER!

The rest of the day went off without a hitch. Jack eventually warmed up to Zayn's parents, and and his sisters appeared to have the same luck. Within an hour or so, Jack was running around the house with his cousins, playing hide-and-seek. Jack didn't have any cousins from my side, and he wasn't in pre-k so it wasn't often that he got to play with kids around his age. It was a refreshing change for him, and for me as well. It wasn't often that I got to mingle with other adults, and depsite how introverted I was, I had to admit that I didn't mind the company.

"So, Ada? What do you do back home?" Patrick asked me as the wine fueled conversation started to simmer back down.

I had never really felt self conscious about my job or the fact that I didn't go to college, because I had always explained that I did what I did for Jack and because of how young I was when I had him - but after hearing Doniya and Patrick talk about their jobs in fashion and finance, and Waliyha raving about how close she was to graduation, for the first time I felt uncomfortable answering honestly.

"Well, um..." I began as I swirled the red wine around in my glass and took another long sip. "I'm actually a receptionist at a dental office." I answered rather sheepishly.

"Really? And how is that?" I knew Patrick was only trying to be nice, but the paranoia in me detected a hint of condescendence in his tone.

"It's tedious work, but I mean, it pays the bills." I asserted, defending my position as a mother.

"Hey, whatever you gotta do." he threw his hands up in mock defeat and took another sip of his wine.

"Are you attending university at least?" Mr. Malik questioned, his eyes baring down on me in a way that was intimidating, but different from his son.

"Well, no." I replied hesitantly. "I had planned to after I graduated high school, but my parents were already struggling to scrape up tuition money so I was going to wait a year, and then I found out I was pregnant with Jack so then it just became a matter of priorities, and Jack has always been number one." I said in defense. I felt like I was at the start of an interrogation, and after having quite a few glasses of wine, there was no telling what would happen if I felt like I was being cornered.

"Why didn't you call up Zayn? I'm sure he'd have given you the money!" Patrick joked, obviously tipsy by this point judging by the absence of his proper manner.

"Patrick..." Zayn warned menacingly, eyeing his brother-in-law from across the kitchen.

"Not to be rude or anything, Ada. But I've been meaning to ask you since you got here; why didn't you call my brother?" Doniya asked, and I was thankful for her polite tone.

"You mean for college money? Or at all?" I responded with a question of my own, although I knew exactly what she meant.

I was starting to feel very anxious, and the alcohol in my system was causing me to sweat like a fucking pig. This was what I meant by feeling cornered, and I really didn't know which part of my personality was going to take the reigns in a minute.

"I mean, why didn't you call him when you fou-" Doniya began, but was quickly cut off when her brother interveined, standing in front of me as if to protect me.

"Doniya, this is not the time or place, alright?" Zayn growled, shooting his sister a threatening glare.

"Okay, Zayn. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. Mom and I have to get started on dinner anyway." Doniya swiftly gave up and decided not to dwell on it. "Ada, would you like to help us?" she asked kindly, and no mater how nervous I was, declining felt rude to me, so I had no choice but to accept. I nodded my head shyly.