Chapter 4 - I'm Not Crazy

I shot up out of bed, frantically searching my room for a pair of chocolate brown eyes that weren't there. As my eyes adjusted to the pitch dark, I realized that I was alone in my room. I could hear the heavy breaths that escaped my lungs along with the erratic heaving of my chest, up and down. I ran a hand through my rough, tangled hair, feeling the sweat that drenched my brow and hair line.

I glanced over at the clock; 3:17am. I don't usually wake up in the middle of the night. I'm a very heavy sleeper.

I rubbed my eyes and scanned my room once more before lying back down in my bed. Staring up at the ceiling, the glow in the dark stars I had taped there when I was ten still shining just as bright as the first day I had put them up. I could feel the thump of my heart beating out of my chest as I tried to wrap my head around what had just caused me to awaken so suddenly.

Why did I dream about him? Those eyes were seeing through me as if they were X-rays. He could see through even the thickest wall that I built up around myself. He stood there, examining every fiber of my being with those invading eyes. That burning chocolate brown with a hint of gold that circled the pupils. I can't believe that I had just dreamt of Zayn Malik.

I had been obsessing in secret over this boybander for months, and two weeks ago I started dreaming of him. I was beginning to get extremely frustrated with the fact that his eyes couldn't just stay in my conscious reality, they had to follow me into my dream world as well?

I would spend most of my days on my laptop, listening to One Direction music, watching interviews, and looking up pictures of him just so I could stare at his eyes. I was starting to scare myself with what at first I had called "curiosity", but had now morphed into a full blown obsession! All I ever thought of was Zayn Malik. I didn't want to talk to anyone about this because frankly, I was extremely embarrassed.

My thoughts were starting to verge on the insane and I just needed to know that I was still perfectly sane, or at least slightly. Rosie was the person who first showed me Zayn, and I had insisted upon my disinterest in him and the group, so it was a real blow to my pride when I knew that I had to go to her with this problem.

I pulled my keys from the ignition and sat there in my car, trying to hold off this conversation as long as I could. I kept trying to convince myself that I didn't need to talk about this and just maybe I could live with my obsession in absolute secrecy, but eventually my rationality won and pushed me from my car to Rosie's front door.

I knocked on her door and stood waiting, looking from right to left, up and down, growing more anxious with each passing second. I heard movement in the house and Rosie's voice yelling to me "I'm coming!"

She opened the door and happily pulled me into a tight hug. I needed one with the way I was feeling.

She led me to her room and plopped down on her bed while I stood in the doorway, fidgeting with the zipper on my jacket. I was clearly nervous and I knew that she could sense it.

"What's wrong Ada?"

I took a cautious step into the room and closed the door behind me. I sat down, not saying a word.

"Ada, whatever it is, you can tell me. I'm your best friend."

Here it goes.

Swallowing my pride, I took a deep breath. "Remember a few months back when you showed me that picture of One Direction?" My voice was shaking.

"Yeah?" Rosie raised one eyebrow suspiciously. "And you said something about the way I was looking at Zayn." I could feel her eyes examining every inch of me, demanding contact, but I kept my head down, refusing to meet her gaze.

"Uh-huh?" I think she knew where I was going with this, but she was waiting for me to come right out with it.

"Well I guess.....that maybe....quite possibly....."

"Just spit it out."

"You might have been onto something."

Her face was so ridiculously readable. Her eyes lit up and an "I knew it" grin crept across her lips. I could tell that she was excited, but she contained it. She wanted me to keep speaking.

"Well when you showed me that picture, something about his eyes just grabbed me. I don't know what it was, but it was like they were calling out to me. Honestly, I ignored it until a couple months ago when I did some research on him. I feel like I developed some kind of obsession and that's not even the worst of it!" I was throwing it all on the table.

"There's more?" she asked, slightly surprised.

"Two weeks ago, I started dreaming about him Rose! Almost every night! I think I'm going crazy!" At this point, I was up and pacing back and forth from her window to the chair I had been sitting in.

"Dreaming about him? That's not so bad. I dream about them from time to time. Who doesn't? They're gorgeous!" She giggled and I could feel a frown form on my lips. She wasn't taking me seriously.

I think she realized that I was getting pissed because she stifled her chuckling and said "So what is it? Do you think you have some kind of connection with Zayn Malik?"

I wasn't sure whether or not she was mocking me. I narrowed my eyes, but before responding they softened. I left out a big sigh, falling back down in the chair and throwing my hands up in defeat. "I really don't know Rose. That's why I came to talk to you. I need to know if I'm crazy or not."

"Well I suppose having a connection with a celebrity is possible." I fellt instantly relieved to hear that she didn't think I was entirely crazy. "I guess the only way to find out is for you to meet him face to face."

I stopped my pacing and just stood, staring at her., my jaw wide open. "Meet him? No way!" I couldn't help but yell. That was a terrible idea.

"Come on Ada. You think you have some connection with this guy. Either that or you're crazy."

No please don't call me crazy.

"The only way to find out really is to meet him in person and see how he responds to you and what you feel."

As much sense as that made, I just couldn't entertain that notion. I couldn't even bring myself to imagine meeting him. Knowing what those eyes do to me through a picture, what could they possibly do in the flesh?

"Look Ada, the boys are doing a concert in Charleston on the 19th and they are doing a meet and greet before the show. They will be taking pictures and signing autographs. It will give you the chance to get close and maybe even talk to him. What do you have to lose?"

The idea of talking to him struck up an unfamiliar sense of fear. I just didn't want to get there and meet him and have nothing happen, because that would confirm that I was crazy.

"Ya know what? I'm just going to get us tickets right now. And you're not going to back out of this."

"Are you crazy Rosie?!" I screamed, mostly out of fear.

"Ada, we're going to figure this out. The 19th. Prepare yourself for the masterpiece and God's gift to humankind that is One Direction."