Chapter 19 - Cut The Wire

Liam sat on the edge of the bed, tapping his foot nervously, rubbing his temples, and teetering back and forth as if debating whether or not to get up and start pacing again. I sat back against the headboard, chewing on my nails even after I'd already bitten them off completely.

The room was silent. So silent that I could hear my own blood running through my veins.

Liam breathed in and out rapidly as he kept clenching and unclenching his fists. His anxiety was making mine worse and I felt like I just wanted to tie him down on the ground to keep him still. His knee was bouncing up and down in a fast rhythm, and I followed it with my eyes.

I could feel the anger radiating from him.

When I first saw the picture, I knew that Liam would be angry, but I didn't think he'd be this angry. It didn't make sense because it wasn't his life that was going to be ruined by this. In fact, as far as the media was concerned, Liam wasn't even involved in this at all. It was me and Zayn.

Zayn.

He was the reason that all of this happened. If he hadn't snuck up on me in the garden, I wouldn't have run away and sprained my ankle. He wouldn't have had to drag me around looking for Liam, who by the way was already looking for me. He wouldn't have had to take me back to his house. He wouldn't have given me the most amazing kiss I've ever had in my life.....

Almost like he could read my thoughts, Liam snapped his head around and started staring at me. My eyes dove towards the floor, desperate to avoid his gaze.

I couldn't look at him. I felt guiltier than ever. I thought that if I looked at him he'd figure out what had really happened last night.

I kept my eyes away until I knew that he wasn't looking at me anymore. I stole a quick peek at him, and his head was facing the floor, his knee had stopped bobbing up and down, his hands were held tightly together. He knew that something was wrong, but I didn't know exactly what he had in mind.

When we finally heard the doorbell, we both looked up at each other, absolutely nervous. I could tell by Liam's furrowed eyebrows, that he didn't want to answer the door. He didn't want to see Zayn, but I didn't know why. He couldn't honestly suspect anything, and Zayn is his best friend, so why would he?

I bit down on my lower lip and nodded my head towards the door. Liam stood up and left the room without looking at me, his hands balled into fists.

I waited up in the room, unable to move because of my stupid ankle that I stupidly sprained last night, running from stupid Zayn.

It was freezing outside, but inside the room it felt like it was 1000 degrees. I was sweating profusely, and I couldn't help but think that it was only going to get worse once Zayn entered the room.

Now my knee was the one bobbing, causing my other leg to vibrate ever so slightly, just enough to cause a little pain in my ankle.

I thought it was strange that I couldn't hear anything. It was extremely disturbing to me that they weren't speaking to each other. That wasn't a good sign. Not only did that mean that things were going to be difficult once we were all in the same room, but it meant that I wouldn't even know when they were coming into the room until the door came flying open. I wouldn't have any time to compose myself.

So I decided that I would just have to do it before they got anywhere close to the room, and just keep calm on the outside while inside I would be throwing myself against a wall.

I placed one hand on my chest and the other on my stomach, and started to count to ten, taking deep, slow breaths.

One...Two...Three...Four...Five...Si-