Chapter 46 - Tiramisu

I leaned into the mirror, so close that my breath created a fog across it and I could almost touch it. I dabbed my finger lightly on my eyelids, blending my eye shadow and smudging the straight black line of eyeliner as not to make it look so proper. I glanced down at my red lips, smacking them together with a touch of confidence that I wouldn't have on any other night. 

I stepped back away from the mirror and inspected my reflection thoroughly, checking to see that every hair was in place, every pimple covered up, every curve accentuated to its fullest potential. Normally I wouldn't pay so much attention or care nearly as much about how I looked, but tonight wasn't just any night. 

It wasn't the fact that it was my birthday, or the fact that I was going to dinner with my attractive and successful boyfriend, or even the fact that I was yet again to be seen by the higher ups of society - no, the reason that I slipped myself into this hip hugging, cleavage showing, ass exaggerating dress, was because of my son's father; Zayn Malik.

In all honesty, I didn't even really want to go - in fact, I was dreading it - but I felt like I had something to prove. I felt like I needed to show Zayn what he was truly missing out on. I kind of hated myself for feeling that way, because it made me seem like a vindictive little teenager, but his words were still fresh in my mind - heartless bitch

I was turning around to grab my purse off of my bed when I heard a firm, yet urgent, knock on my door.

"Come in!" I shouted, thinking, hoping rather, that it was only Spencer.

No such luck.

A second later, Zayn stepped into the room. His eyes stopped their wandering and widened when they found my figure, standing in the middle of the room, in my tight black dress. I had to suppress a grin when I realize that I had already caught his attention.

"Oh, it's you." I scoffed, turning on my heel back to the mirror and pretending to fix my makeup.

I puckered my lips while my fingers ran through my hair. My mind demanded that I look at him through the mirror, but I fought that urge and kept my eyes on my own reflection, to give him the sense that I felt indifferent towards him.

I smacked my lips hard, making a loud popping sound, before speaking again in a much harsher tone.

"What do you want Zayn? I kind of have to finish getting ready." I made sure to eliminate any tone of interest in my voice while I continued checking myself in the mirror.

"I'm not going to talk to you if you won't even look at me." he said calmly.

My momentarily immature mind insisted that I keep my eyes on the mirror, but my adult brain won in the end and forced my body to face his, but the teenager in me did manage to get my hands on my hips.

"Okay, I'm looking. Happy now?" I whined, leaning forward slightly to allow my cleavage to show.

I was expecting him to start sweating or stuttering or getting nervous in any way at all, but that just didn't happen. Instead, he sighed heavily, rolled his eyes, and squeezed the bridge of his nose with his fingers.

"I would comment on your ridiculous plan to get me jealous or turned on or whatever the hell it is you're trying to do, but I'm just going to let you wallow in your own immaturity." he sighed, looking up at me as though he was bored.

"I came in here because I have a few questions about Jack, considering this is the first time that I'll be alone with him." 

I hadn't even thought of that. I had been so absorbed in getting revenge on him that I hadn't even stopped to think that he might not be able to properly care for our son, and it was too last minute to hire a sitter.