Chapter 15 - Sprained Ankle

Liam was waiting at the front door with my coat slung over his arm, tapping his foot impatiently as I stood at the hallway mirror doing my final touch ups before we left. I didn't normally dress up, but when the rare opportunity presented itself, I went all out.

Tonight I decided to go with a floor length gown that was the same shade of ocean blue as my eyes and a pair of shimmery silver heels that were tall enough to be considered heels, but short enough for me to be able to walk in.

For my makeup, I did a bit more of a natural look, using brown eyeliner and mascara and nude colored eye shadows, with a peach gloss to cover what small amount of lips I have. I decided, as always, to leave my hair natural, mostly straight with some subtle waves, because it wouldn't stay put if I tried to do it any other way.

I turned to Liam, with my hands on my hips and asked, "Do I look okay?" As soon as he looked up, the impatience and annoyance vanished from his eyes upon seeing me. "Ada....you look beautiful."

He walked over to me and pulled me close to him, with his arm around my waist and our faces so close. His other hand caressed my cheek and brushed my hair behind me ears as he looked deep and lovingly into my eyes. Just then, he placed a soft, feather-like kiss on my lips. He didn't give me much of a chance to respond to the kiss, but it left me with a secure feeling.

The house that the party was being held in was absolutely exquisite. I watched out my window with childlike wonder as we made our way up the long cobblestone driveway, passing gardens aglow with fireflies and lanterns, illuminating the romantic rose paths and marvelous fountains that were found all over the expansive property.

As we approached the house, my delight continued as I was greeted by a titanic mansion that put Liam's home to shame.

Our car came to a stop under a tall archway with a fountain in the very middle of it. It looked more like a hotel than someone's home.

A valet came happily to us, opening my door for me and offering his hand to me as I climbed out. Liam tossed the keys to the valet who then drove off with our car while we walked towards a large wooden door with candlelit lanterns on either side of it.

Without knocking, Liam opened the door and squeezed my hand tighter as we stepped into a grand foyer with high ceilings made entirely of glass. Liam immediately jumped into work mode, seeming more like a businessman than one of five singers of the most famous boyband on the planet.

Despite the fact that I was wearing the most beautiful gown I'd ever seen in my life, with designer shoes and makeup, I didn't feel as elegant and sophisticated as I looked. I still felt like Ada Carraway.

After 45 minutes of Liam introducing me to all of his business friends, I excused myself to the restroom. Instead of heading to the ladies room, I snuck out into the gardens at the back of the house.

I exited a ballroom that looked exactly like the one from Beauty and the Beast, and out onto a marble staircase leading out into the dimly lit gardens. I just needed to get away for a few minutes. I know that this party was nothing like the ones I'd ever been to at home, but it was still a party, and no matter how classy I looked tonight, I was still Ada, and Ada hates parties.

I found a spot far enough away from the house so that I wouldn't be found on the off chance that Liam or anyone else came searching for me. I observed my surroundings. I was seated on a metal bench, melded into a beautiful flower pattern, in front of a koi fish pond that was surrounded by trees with white Christmas lights and Chinese lanterns hanging from them. It was a beautiful and quiet place for me to enjoy being alone.

I felt a cool breeze dance across my cheek, and suddenly I realized how cold it was. The jacket I had taken with me didn't do much to shield me from the freezing temperature, and the fact that I was sitting on a metal bench probably wasn't helping.