Chapter 27 - Blast From the Past

"So here's a list of numbers in case of an emergency. I've got my number, my parent's numbers, poison control, and of course you know nine-one-one." I nervously reminded the babysitter as she pushed me and Spencer out the door.

I hated leaving Jack with a babysitter. I've had horrible separation anxiety from the day he was born, and I get crazy whenever I have to leave him with someone who isn't me.

Normally, I would leave him with my parents, but they were out of town. So I had to hire a sitter, and that was the last thing I wanted to do.

"He'll be fine Ada. She'll take good care of him." Spencer said as he eased me towards the car with his hand on the small of my back.

No matter what anyone said, I was going to worry. That's what mothers do.

We were having dinner at one of the fanciest, and most expensive, restaurants in town. It annoyed me because Spencer knew that wasn't my thing. Or maybe he didn't. Who knew if he even paid attention to anything I said while we first dated, let alone remembered any of it.

He had a valet park his car, a shiny black Mercedes Benz, just like Rosie's, and tipped the guy a twenty. I knew he was showing off, but I also knew that he actually had the means to show off. I hadn't asked him what he did for a living yet, but I assumed, by the look of things, that whatever it was was working well for him.

The restaurant, named The Point, was a hotspot for the rich and famous. Rosie's parents frequented this place, and it didn't surprise me in the least that Spencer obviously did as well. What gave it away was when I realized he was on a first name basis with the owner.

We strolled in together, dressed for the occasion. Although I thought I looked pretty nice, I clearly stuck out and didn't belong. Spencer looked so blended with the rest of the people, and I just knew that going out with him was a mistake.

"Come on Ada. Let's sit down."

He gently pulled me by my hand, caressing it with his thumb. It almost reminded me of Liam. I did miss him, and from time to time I thought about him. Sometimes I would randomly remember him and the things we did or the things he did or just the way he was.

Spencer pulled out my chair and motioned for me to sit. He was much different from the track star I dated in high school. He still looked the same, but was more....of a gentleman. More mature.

I was twenty-four, an he was twenty-six; a far cry from the teenagers who had a high school fling.

As I sat staring at him, I couldn't deny how attractive Spencer was. He was tall, tan, and muscular. His hair was a golden blonde, and his eyes were jade green. Anybody else would have killed to be the one who caught his eye, but I just couldn't feel that way.

It wasn't even just the fact that he and I had history. It was just that I wasn't interested in him. He was handsome, chivalrous, and successful. But I didn't want him.

"Good evening. My name is Ross and I'll be taking care of you tonight." The waiter's voice was calm and welcoming. "Can I interest you in a couple of drinks?"

Spencer was quick to order a bottle of their finest wine. I didn't feel like wine at all. In fact, all I wanted was a damn soda. Actually, all I wanted was to be home with my son. But then I remembered that I was only doing this for my son, and I shut my thoughts up.

The longer we sat at that table together, the more I realized that I had absolutely nothing to say to Spencer. Nothing at all. We didn't have anything in common. The only time we seemed to be able to talk was when I brought up Jack.

"You have a great kid Ada. He's beautiful too." Spencer said as our laughter simmered down.

I looked down and smiled, just picturing my son's face in my mind.