Chapter 2 - Surprise at F.Y.E

The next day at school, while I was sitting against a wall on the far end of the courtyard, I heard bouncy footsteps approaching. I knew it was Rosie. "Hey Rosie." I said, my head still jammed into my book of Ancient Egyptian Deities.

"Hey Ada." she greeted me cheerfully, taking a seat on the ground beside me. "So could you take your nose out of that book for five seconds to at least look at me?"

"Ugh." I groaned as I marked my page and set the book aside, turning to face her.

"So you want to go shopping after school today? I really need to get a new winter coat. The one I have is so last winter." she carried on in a faux prep voice.

I giggled to myself and replied "Yeah sure Rosie. Just meet me in the parking lot after class."

I rushed to scribble down my final answers on the Math test I was taking. Math has never been my forte but I always managed to get by somehow. As I was finishing up the last question, the bell rang, its obnoxious tone echoing through the classroom as everyone filed out. I remained at my seat determined to finish my test.

When I finished, I walked to the teacher's desk and handed my paper in sheepishly. I collected my belongings from my desk and shoved them into my bag as I ran, tripping over my feet, to the parking lot to meet Rosie.

When I reached the parking lot, Rosie was leaning up against her black Mercedes Benz tapping her foot eagerly against the pavement. "Sorry. I was taking a Math test and I had to stay a little later to finish it." I apologized while I fished the keys to my '98 Honda Civic out of my bag. I looked up at Rosie, brushing a loose strand of hair behind my ear and nodded that I was ready to go.

Suddenly I felt her hand on my shoulder. "You okay Ada? You seem unusually distracted today." My eyes met hers, they were filled with concern.

"I'm fine." I assured her with a smile.

We arrived at the mall and unable to find neighboring parking spots, our cars ended up at opposite ends of the lot. We went from store to store.

I must have sat for at least two hours watching Rosie try on coats ranging in color from baby blue to a green to match her eyes. When she finally decided on the green coat, she purchased it and it was now time to do something that I could enjoy.

We made our way to F.Y.E. to look through their collection of classic rock CDs. Although I have an iPod, I still prefer CDs because I like things old school.

Upon entering the store, I quickly made my way to the Classic Rock section and browsed through rows of Metallica, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Kiss. I enclosed my head in a large pair of headphones and shut out the rest of the store.

My song ended and I turned to grab another CD off the rack, only to be startled by those chocolate brown eyes from the night before staring at me from across the store.

At the entrance of the store, there stood a lifesize cutout of the five boys of One Direction. The other four boys were looking off in different directions, arms at their sides or around the boy next to them, in a playful manner. But Mr. Chocolate Eyes had his hand up to his chin, stroking it, and eyes on fire making contact with mine.

I stood still as a stone as an unfamiliar feeling, crept into my stomach. I tried desperately to peel my eyes away from his, but I couldn't look away. It was the same feeling that I had experienced the night before. It was like I was in a trance, and I couldn't break out of it.

Finally, Rosie's voice diverted my eyes as I turned in her direction. "Come on Ada! It's late! They're closing!"

On that note, I clutched my bag and walked towards the door, obvious in my attempt to avoid the cutout.

"What is with you today?" Rosie threw her hands up in frustration. I'm guessing she could sense my uneasiness as we left the store.

"Really it's nothing. I'm fine." I tried to force a smile. I am a terrible liar so it wasn't hard for Rosie to tell that I was lying.

"Ada, what's going on? You can tell me." She stopped walking and placed her hand on my shoulder, shooting me a comforting smile.

"I'm serious Rose. It really is nothing." I really wanted to drop the subject, because if there was anything that I hated more than someone asking me what was wrong, it was someone insisting that there was something wrong. And honestly, I would be able to explain, because I couldn't even explain to myself what was going on.

We kept on walking in silence. When we reached the exit to the mall, we hugged goodbye and separated to find our cars. As I approached my car, I dug around for my keys, my fingers unable to keep a firm grasp on them. It took me a good five minutes to unlock my car. My mind was elsewhere; locked on Mr. Chocolate Eyes.

The drive home was a mess of thoughts. What am I thinking? Why am I reading so much into this? Obviously this boy has some kind of effect on me. My subconscious suddenly sprung into action. He is just a boy in a boyband. The way you feel is just the way boybands are supposed to make you feel, they are engineered that way. I decided once again to listen to my subconscious and put the issue on the back burner for the night.

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter. Next one will be longer, I promise :)