Chapter 38 - Jack's Father

All I could hear was the sound of the cars passing us as I drove towards my parents' house with Zayn in the passengers seat. It was incredibly awkward, and both us were still angry, so talking wasn't even an option, but Zayn had become the least of my worries.

Now I was freaking out about introducing him to my parents. I had told them for years that I didn't know who Jack's father was. I had told them that Jack resulted from a drunk one night stand while I was with Liam, and now they were going to find out how much of a piece of shit their daughter really was by sleeping with her boyfriend's best friend.

All of my lies were finally starting to catch up with me and I had a feeling that everyone was going to hate me by the end of the day.

"So, when we get there, just let me do the talking." I said nervously as I straightened up in my seat, gripping the steering wheel tighter.

"Why would I say anything?" He continued to stare out the window.

"Well, it's just that, my parents didn't exactly know that I knew Jack's father. I never told them." I said in a hushed tone.

"And why doesn't that surprise me?" He said as if he was bored.

"It shouldn't, I guess." I thought about all of my lied and how often I lied and if I didn't already feel bad, it made me feel worse.

"But anyway, I'll deal with my parents. Just be polite. And when you're with Jack, please don't give any indication that you're his father." I instructed him.

"I'm not sure I'll ever get used to that." He said, staring blankly at the glass.

I knew that he was referring to being called a father.

"Zayn?"

He finally turned to look at me for the first time since we left my apartment, and I could see the anxiety in his face and the water in his eyes.

"You'll get used to it. It's the best feeling in the world." I assured him with a smile. He returned a small smile and then went back to staring out the window.

The fact that he had already seen Jack didn't mean much, because he hadn't known that that was his son. Now he was going to be spending some time with him, as his fater, but he couldn't let Jack know that he was his father. The pressure was really on.

When we pulled into my parents' driveway, I shut the car off and just sat there for a second. We were both thinking, about different things obviously.

This was the house where my sick obsession with Zayn had started, as just one girl out of millions, six years ago. Now, I was bringing Zayn here so he could meet our four year old son. It was a strange feeling.

"Are you ready?" I asked as I held my was down and looked at him out of the corner of my eye.

"No. I don't think I'll ever be, but I want to do this." He whispered, and the slight shake in his voice didn't go unnoticed.

"Okay. Let's go."

I opened my door and stepped out of my car, keeping my eyes on the house and Zayn, at the same time.

He looked terrified as we walked up the brick pathway to the front door. This was the most nervous I'd ever seen him, and I actually wanted to laugh. I rarely got to see him so vulnerable, but when I did, it was beautiful.

We stood in front of the door, both holding our breath as I knocked.

All of a sudden, I felt a set of fingers slip in between my own and squeeze my hand. I didn't look, because I knew that this was Zayn reaching out to me, and I didn't want him to feel insecure about it. I just curled my fingers around his and squeezed back.