Chapter 41 - No More Surprises

I knew that Zayn's threat to come back was serious. I had anticipated him showing up at my door sooner or later during the day, and I didn't want Jack to be around for whatever was going to happen when he got here. So I left Jack with my parents, explaining to them that his father was back in town and we needed to discuss a few things.

I knew what we were going to be talking, or more like arguing, about. It just seemed like a never ending cycle of yelling with him.

Even back when I was in London, we were constantly at each other's throats. If there was ever a good moment between us, it didn't last very long. One of us always had to shatter it.

I was extremely nervous, and I didn't know why. When I was arguing with Zayn was the only time I didn't feel nervous around him. Maybe it was the anticipation, or what I knew was to be the content of the argument this time.

I'd never actually called Zayn out on his relationship with Perrie. I had told him once that we couldn't do what we were doing anymore because of our relationships, but I had never actually brought up the fact that he hid her from me to begin with. I had kind of just let it slide.

But this time I wouldn't. That decision was mostly fueled by my jealousy, but not entirely. I was furious by the fact that he ambushed me, and brought his new girlfriend to my home when he thought our son was going to be right inside, after coming back more than a month later than he said he would.

With Perrie, he hadn't chosen for her to find us, it just sort of happened. But with Paola, he purposely brought her to my door with him, and I couldn't forgive him for that.

I was livid, thinking about his words when he left the last time.

I'll be back in two months. I promise.

Those words made me sick. The thought of Zayn made me sick. He lied to me, lied to our son. What kind of man lies to his son like that?

I couldn't help but clench my fists when the doorbell rang. Without fear or hesitation, I stormed over to the door and flung it open.

Zayn was standing there, nonchalantly, with his hands in his pockets and a cigarette in between his lips. His white v-neck hung loosely around his toned torso, and his jeans hugged his hips, exposing the top of his boxers and his v-line.

I hated myself for how attracted to him I still was.

"Do you ever not have one of those cancer sticks hanging from your mouth?" I snapped.

He looked at me with a raised eyebrow, then slowly removed the cigarette from his mouth, threw it on the ground, and stomped it out with his large combat boots.

"I'm not going to smoke in your house. alright, sweetheart." he teased, anything but playfully.

Hearing him call me sweetheart brought a vivid memory back to my head. The day that he showed up at Liam's house after I hadn't seen him for a week. We shared the most passionate and arousing kiss in Liam's study, and then I smacked him right across the face.

I could remember everything. The way he smelled of cologne and fresh wood. The anger boiling inside me as he stood there mocking me with the name sweetheart. The way our lips felt against each other as we kissed hungrily. The way my hand stung as it slapped his cheek. The way he looked as he walked out the door.

If only I'd left it at that, we wouldn't be in this mess. But I couldn't think like that. If things hadn't happened the way that they did, then Jack would have never been born. And I would have rather gone through it all a thousand times, than go one day without Jack.