Chapter 21 - I Wish It Was You

WARNING: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS GRAPHIC SEXUAL CONTENT! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

I sat on the couch in the studio for six hours, listening to the boys sing the same lines over and over again. I had never thought about how much work went into making an album, and seeing it played out in front of me, well I'm just glad that I never went into the music industry.

I tried my best to tune out the generic pop melodies that were being played on a loop throughout the day. At first, it seemed to be impossible as every time my mind would drift away for a second, the music would start playing again and pull me right back. But as time went on, it became one of those things that you just grow numb to.

Something that is so noticeable in the beginning, but the longer it goes on, it just fades until eventually it slips entirely into the background. Kind of like wearing glasses; you feel them when you first put them on, but the longer you wear them, you feel them less and less until you can't feel them on your face at all.

I kept to myself for most of the day. It was a combination of not feeling exactly welcome, and not knowing if I even wanted to. Of course, Liam kept me company when he wasn't in the booth recording, but as soon as he walked away, I was back to being invisible.

I liked it that way. It's how I felt most comfortable. I'd always been a bit of a loner, and in high school I was the person you'd run into in the hallway - not because you were just an asshole and didn't care who you ran into, but because I was so invisible that they honestly didn't know that I was there.

I let myself slide down into the leather, intertwining my own fingers as I laid my hands across my stomach, and stretched out my legs - crossing one over the other.

I closed my eyes and relaxed as I pictured myself lying down in a small boat, rolling with the flow of the water, smelling the salty air that surrounded me, listening to the sound that the waves made when they would break against the side of the boat, watching the clouds as they hung in the baby blue sky. This was a vision that I would imagine from time to time, when I was going through a rough spot, and it always made me feel at peace.

When I felt the couch sink down beside me, my vision was gone instantly. It was like cutting a roll of film and screaming as you watched the screen go dark.

I reluctantly opened my eyes, staring straight at the ceiling instead of towards the person sitting next to me. I didn't need to look to know who it was. I'd only been in London for a little under two weeks, yet I could always tell when he was around. I could feel him whenever he entered the room, just as strongly as I would if he were touching me.

I let out an annoyed sigh and started twiddling my thumbs.

"You pulled me out of a beautiful vision." I said as I pressed my lips in a hard line.

"I'm sorry." His voice was soft and deep, and the effect it had on me was indescribable. The effect that anything about him had on me couldn't be explained with words.

I finally turned my head towards him, his eyes - taking on more of a milk chocolate now - bearing down on me. His jaw was clenched and his lips pouting. This man was ridiculously attractive, no matter what he was wearing or what kind of mood he was in, and it always caught me off guard.

"What do you want?" I asked, getting straight to the point.

"To talk." His tone was level and serious, and it made me want to listen to him no matter how angry I was.

I nodded my head and my eyes turned towards the floor. All I could really do was wait for him to say something else. But I was done having any expectations. I couldn't keep waiting for him to say something I wanted to hear, only to get hurt when he didn't say it.