Chapter 34 - I Shouldn't Have Come

I followed close behind Zayn as he lead me down the long, narrow corridor on the top floor. He hadn't said a single word since we started up the stairs, purposely avoiding the elevators.

It was six floors that we walked up in absolute silence, and after so long with this incredible tension in the air, I was about ready to explode.

Every so often, he'd glance over his shoulder at me, as if to make sure that I was actually still there. My pulse was racing for the gold, and if I couldn't get it to slow down, I'd be spending the night in the hospital.

I wasn't one to feel terribly claustrophobic, but under the circumstances, the small space that Zayn and I walked in had me gasping for breath.

Suddenly my body smacked right into something, and I looked up, horrified to see that I had slammed right into Zayn. I hadn't even noticed that he'd stopped walking.

He shot me a warning glare, and I backed away from him sheepishly. His facial expression told me that he was clearly irritated by my presence, and that made my heart twist up.

I caught myself building up expectations, just like I always did, and that's why I was even in this whole mess. If I hadn't expected so much from Zayn, none of this would have ever happened.

At least I caught myself and I knew exactly what I was expecting. I was expecting him to say that he had waited for me and still loved me, but after five years apart, that wasn't a fair expectation.

Zayn pulled his room key out of his pocket, but paused just before he put it in the door. It was like he was wondering what he was doing, which was exactly what was going on in my mind.

The door beeped as the card key unlocked and Zayn pushed it open. For some reason, I was even more nervous now that I realized that I was completely alone with him. Maybe because now that we were in his room, there was no possibility of anyone walking out of their rooms, or coming down the stairs. No one could interrupt us.

I took a deep breath and closed the door behind me, the lock sounding much louder than it should have. I was terrified. I had no idea what was going to happen, and I hated to say that I was afraid of it not meeting my expectations.

I walked forward into the room. It was an executive suite, so naturally, it was huge. It looked almost like the room Liam and I had stayed in when he came to Charleston five years earlier.

The room we were in was a large living room, connected to a kitchen. A ninety inch flat screen hung on the wall opposite a long white couch that looked like it was made of the most plush material in the world. On either side of the tv were floor to ceiling windows overlooking the city. I thought how beautiful the view must be at night.

Zayn stood in the center of the room. One of his arms fell to his side, his fingers tapping on his thigh, while his other hand was up at his mouth, twisting his lips with his fingers. He looked like he was thinking, thinking about what to say, and I was too afraid to interrupt him.

I stood on the other side of the room, in an awkward stance, watching him, studying him. I was still trying to get my mind to accept the fact that he was really there.

"So, what is it that's so important that you needed to come and find me?" His tone was mocking and made me feel suddenly unsure if what to say.

"Uhm, well, I-" I searched for the words I had practiced over and over in my car that morning.

"I don't have all day Ada! I'm a very busy man. So cut to the point." The way he spat my name drove a knife straight through my heart.

Just then, a thought occurred to me - what if he didn't want Jack?