Chapter 14 - Party Anyone?

"Guys I'm home!" Liam's voice bounced off the high ceilings and narrow walls, travelling up the marble staircase, and finally reaching me and Zayn in the bedroom at the end of the hall. Panic surged through me, causing my heart rate to soar through the roof and my lungs to kick into overdrive.

As if instinctively, I shoved Zayn away from me as hard as I could, putting as much distance between us as possible. I don't think it had really registered with either of us what just happened, as we stared at each other with the most bewildered expressions.

I was out of breath and my blood pressure was rising by the second. I looked Zayn up and down, running over the whole scenario in my head.

I didn't what to feel. I didn't what I should feel. I wanted to slap him. I wanted to kiss him. At that moment, my anger towards him and lust for him were clashing, drawing their swords and preparing for a full on battle.

Hearing Liam's footsteps approaching, Zayn leaped off the bed and within a second was on the other side of the room, sitting in a chair by the window. I pulled the blanket up to my nose, covering my quivering lips.

Liam entered the room and rushed over to my side, grabbing me and pressing his lips to my cheek.

"Hey baby. I'm sorry, I'm a little later than expected."

Everything about Liam made me want to smile, but when I caught sight of Zayn's expressionless face out of the corner of my eye, the overwhelming guilt that I felt made my eyes avoid Liam at all costs.

"It's okay. Uhm, Zayn was here all day to keep me company."

I pointed at Zayn, who now appeared completely calm, and watched as he stood up from the chair and walked over to join us.Liam's smile quickly dwindled to almost nothing when he saw Zayn. He got up from the bed, letting go of my hand - that I hadn't even noticed he was holding - and stood nose and nose with Zayn. They were both about the same height, so it wasn't anyone's size playing as the intimidating factor here. It was the jealousy that I could feel emanating from Liam.

Liam had never been jealous before, or if he had, I hadn't noticed. Even now, he was doing a good job at hiding it. I would never have known by his actions, because his intense eye contact has ceased within moments, and he and Zayn were sharing a manly guy hug.

I watched Zayn talk with Liam as if nothing had ever happened between us, as if I meant nothing to him. I couldn't believe it. The level of composure that he had was almost insulting. Here we had just shared this random intimate moment, and he was pretending like it didn't even happen.

While my palms were sweating and I was gulping so many times you'd think that I was drinking a whole gallon of water, he wore a casual grin and possessed the most nonchalant demeanor I've ever seen.

I was slightly concerned by just how relaxed he appeared to be. Even Spencer hadn't been so stone cold after I'd caught him cheating, and here Zayn was, talking playful banter with his best friend whose girlfriend he'd just made a move on.

Part of me was disturbed and part of me was envious of this ability that he had. I could never pull off such a laid back persona, and most likely the only reason that Liam wouldn't find my behavior strange was because I was already sick.

"Well I'd better be going. It's getting pretty late." I tuned in just in time to hear Zayn say.

"Thanks for stopping by mate." Liam said as they grabbed each other's hands and pulled into another guy hug.

Zayn turned to me, but I didn't want to say anything. I didn't even want to look at him. I knew the effect that his eyes had on me, and looking at him would only make things worse for myself. So I pulled myself together just enough to wave goodbye. I didn't say anything, and I don't think he expected me to.