Chapter 61 - Runway

I listened to the calming sound of the rain tapping against the window that I leaned my head against, as we raced down the highway at a smooth seventy-five miles per hour, or at least that's what I guessed we were at, considering that Zayn's car went by kilometers per hour instead. The sky was very bright today, but it was the kind of brightness that only happens on a rainy day, when the clouds in the sky are so light gray that the sunlight shining through them creates a white light that if looked at for longer than thirty seconds will give you a pounding headache from straining your eyes. 

Bradford was an eight hour drive away from London, at least, and being stuck in the back seat of a car for that long wasn't exactly something I'd always looked forward to. Roadtrips were fun, but not if you had to take the back. The first couple of hours had actually flown by, because I wasn't alone in the back, thank God. Jack was my companion, and you'd be amazed at how much fun you could have with a boy as imaginative as my son. But eventually, Jack got bored, which lead to tired, which lead to him falling fast asleep in his car seat.

We still had six hours left of the drive, and I found myself alone, counting the small droplets of rain as they slid gracefully down the outside of the window. Boredom was starting to weigh heavily on me, and I was praying with every fiber in me that I would eventually get bored enough to fall asleep, just like Jack, but my wonderful rest the night before made sure that I wouldn't get the chance.

I sighed loudly to myself and allowed my mind to wander. It probably wasn't the best idea considering the places my mind had a tendency of wandering to, but I did it anyway. I think after my emotional breakdown earlier, I deserved a little time to myself, even if that meant it was only inside my head, and even if it ended up leading me to places I didn't want to go. 

The chilling temperature and howling wind was a severe contrast from the sunshine and chirping birds that graced us just yesterday. The weather here in England seemed to be a little more bipolar than people let on. Louis and I leaned against the side of the car, watching with amused grins as Zayn loaded all the luggage into the trunk of his SUV by himself. He'd insisted upon it. 

Zayn had tried his best to keep hidden how dead tired and exhausted he was, but when his eyes fell on Paola's suitcase, which looked as though it had even grown in size since we got here, the dread was clearly visible on his face. Louis and I had to stifle our laughter, concealing it within our bloated cheeks. 

"Babe, is it just me, or do you have all of fifth avenue stuffed into this suitcase?" Zayn whined, turning to face his girlfriend who was just stepping off the porch, dressed in skinny jeans, and a pair of knee high leather boots that I wish I had.

"What was that, babe?" Paola shouted back, moving down the driveway as if she were walking the runway in NYC. She had her phone in one hand and her purse thrown over her opposite shoulder.

I looked over to see Louis with his hands on his hips, striking a very model-like pose, his eyes focused dead ahead, and the word "fierce" slip from his lips in a seductive whisper. I could feel the heat in my cheeks and the pressure building in my lungs as I resisted the incredible urge to laugh each time Louis changed pose. 

Thank God we were hidden by the giant SUV, because pretty soon, Louis had gotten me to join in. I was doing my best imitation of a runway strut in between Louis commanding "And pose!" and his occasional "Work it girl. Oh you look fabulous!" 

Honestly, I would have felt terrible if Paola had seen us making fun of her like this, but I couldn't help it any longer, and the giggles started slipping out little by little in what can only be described as high pitched farting squeaks. This, in turn, made Louis crack up, making me crack up, and pretty soon we were both full on laughing.